Wet wet wet, 03/04 - Japan, Kyushu — testing the waters - CycleBlaze

April 3, 2024

Wet wet wet, 03/04

Woke up to heavy rain through the night.

Packed up the tent when there was a short break from the rain and made some instant coffee in the campsite toilets, sheltered from the rain. In this one, the electrical outlets were working so we could charge our devices.

Heavy rain forecast for the rest of the day, so I changed into flip flops. No point wearing socks and shoes in that weather as they’d get soaked though anyway. It was around 20C, so getting cold not really a problem.

Tightened the tension of front brake as I knew I’d be using it a lot, with the heavy rain and steep downhill sections.

Stopped off at a shokudo place on the side of the road. Changed to some dry clothes on the toilet, and changed back into wet gear after eating. I got the extra large portion of curry.

The trucks were very conscientious on the downhills. We were going over 50km/h on some sections and they kept well back — around 50m — I think they were anticipating needing to stop.

The rain got heavier through the day. I couldn’t have been wetter if I’d jumped in a swimming pool. Took some shelter at a covered seating area just outside Miyazaki, and decided where to stay.

Due to the rain, any camp-spot would likely have been waterlogged so we decided to stay in a hotel in Miyazaki centre.

Checked in and unpacked all our stuff to dry it out. Looked like all four panniers had exploded their contents throughout the room as we looked to hang stuff or spread stuff out on every square cm of surface.

Went to an Italian restaurant in Miyazaki. A bit of a fancy place with not large portions, unlike the carbonara place from a few weeks ago.

Walked around central Miyazaki after where there seemed to be lots of entertainment places open but very few customers.

Very nice staying in a dry hotel room with a sento on the top floor after such a wet day!e

signs of waterlogging in the morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
breakfast in the campsite toilets whilst charging devices
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
raining cats and dogs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Miyazaki night life
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0