Eggs and onigiri; 2/04 - Japan, Kyushu — testing the waters - CycleBlaze

April 2, 2024

Eggs and onigiri; 2/04

Started the day with the obligatory visit to FamilyMart for some coffee and snacks. 

Then a long slow climb for most of the day. As we stopped to fine lunch as we approached Kirishima National Park, two cyclists struck up a conversation with us. They run a cycling tour business and we interested in the tandem. Happily, I explained how the Rohloff hub has internal gearing, the Dynamo hub, and the S&S couplers. What the guy was most impressed by was the fact that I was using XTR brakes, which he kept on saying was ‘retro… and ‘sugoi’ (amazing).

I have been very happy with the brakes though. We probably have a system weight of around 180kgs, and I’ve never (touch wood) felt like I needed any more stopping power than what these rim brakes supply, even when descending at over 60km/h. 

Pitched up at a campsite at the foothills of Mt. Takachiho. Unfortunately the onsen just next door was closed so we had to cycle about 5 km to the next one. 

Foothill of Mt. Takachiho (I think)
Heart 0 Comment 0

No convenience stores or restaurants open so we bought a dozen eggs being sold at the onsen, and their onigiri and had that for dinner. Managed to boil the eggs to be excellent onsen tamago. 

Boiling eggs in porch of campsite toilet, sheltering from rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near perfect soft boiled egg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 345 km (214 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0