To Zell am Zimmer - Krakow to Salzburg 1999 - CycleBlaze

September 4, 1999

To Zell am Zimmer

When we reinvented our trip, we decided to allow more time in the Tyrolean Alps.  We tossed around a plan to backtrack west to Sölden for a few days and then forward through the Ziller valley; but finally settled on three nights at Zell am Zimmer with two dedicated hiking days.

The ride to Zell began as a very pleasant affair, following the Inn River cycle trail through Hall im Tyrol and a series of smaller villages for 40 km until we reached the confluence with the Ziller and turned south for another 20.  The ride along the Inn was very enjoyable - flat, easy and interesting.  I really liked Hall, where we enjoyed delicious pears from the street market - but the show stopper was a parade of cows dressed in their holiday finest for Octoberfest.

On the Inn cycle path. Unfortunately I can’t find the photo of the cows dressed up for Octoberfest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hasegg Castle, Hall im Tyrol.
Heart 1 Comment 0

About five km south of the Inn the gradually worsening weather developed into a lightning storm.  We waited it out for a few minutes under the eaves of a barn near the bike path until it eased enough for us to continue cycling the remaining miles.  For the final 15 km we biked through varying degrees of rain and drizzle, arriving in Zell quite damp.  We arrived just before 6, just in time to visit the info center for help with rooms and hiking suggestions, but we couldn’t find it until later in the evening.

We managed to find a reasonably priced inn, booked a room for three nights, and went out to a neighboring restraint offering pizza paired with terrible service.  Afterwards we had desserts elsewhere, at an outdoor cafe.

In the Zillertal.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 657 km (408 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0