In Innsbruck - Krakow to Salzburg 1999 - CycleBlaze

September 3, 1999

In Innsbruck

soon after breakfast we walked to the info center to inquire about hiking possibilities and were steered to what proved to be a stunning walk.  We caught the bus to nearby Igls where we caught a long cable car up to the 1,900 meter level.  From there we enjoyed about a five hour alpine walk to a different point of descent - a pair of chairlifts which dropped us to Tulfes, where we caught a bus back to Igls and then the city.

The walk itself was wonderful - paralleling the Inn at about 2,000 meters, it offered a continuous succession of breathtaking views into the valley’s cities and towns.  We had an enjoyable break at midday - a chocolate and hazelnut picnic on a quiet ridge on a spur trail high above the main route.  As great as the walk was though, it was nearly eclipsed by the two slope descent.  The first stage was a single person chair lift, the second seated two persons.  Both lasted a very long time, a total of over a half hour, and dropped 5,000’ in the open air, with amazing views.  A very memorable experience.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0