Final Thoughts on "On Their Knees" - Grampies Go On Their Knees Spring 2017 - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2017

Final Thoughts on "On Their Knees"

First of all may I immodestly say that this was a great trip and a great blog. I find myself re-reading it just because it is so interesting! Well ok, that is one opinion!

The trip had seven stages, which we tried to set out clearly with chapter headings. That total of seven includes having killed the planned Camino del Norte and substituting the tour of Normandy. We really can not choose one of the stages as having been the best.

On the other hand, somehow when we think of the trip our minds jump to the Camino. That does make some sense since we styled the tour as a quest, and the Camino is right up that alley. More than that, we think about the still medieval hill villages, and the mountains near O Cebreiro with a lot of fondness. And then there is the superstar singing nun of Santiago!

More than on past trips and despite all the knee problems, this tour seems to have left us in stronger condition than in the past. Maybe it was having more hills than usual, or maybe it is just an illusion. In the end it doesn't matter much, since we will lose condition quickly without daily cycling of many hours. Even for a short while, though, it is good to feel what passes for us as strong and trim.

We are busy dreaming up where and when we can go again. We were intrigued to have been for a short time on the Avenue Verte, London to Paris, and on the Veloscenie, Paris to Mont St Michel. They need to figure in somewhere. Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany beckon as well.

We need to be out of the European Union for 90 days in order to re-enter legally. If we wait the 90 days and go back for 90 we will run into cold conditions, especially in the north of France, in England or in Netherlands. And, we would mostly miss Christmas - awkward, since the whole family will be at our house! So we are thinking of a little shorter sojourn. We are coming up to our 50th wedding anniversary, November 9. Maybe we could leave late September and plan to be in (romantic) Paris for that. It could be a 50 day trip. "Grampies Go 50 for 50" ?

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0