Day Six: Gien to Belleville: An eleven euro bath - Grampies Go On Their Knees Spring 2017 - CycleBlaze

April 2, 2017

Day Six: Gien to Belleville: An eleven euro bath

Le Rivage, our hotel last night was fairly elegant. Well at least it had red carpets. The desk clerk this morning was maintaining the image, with a dark suit and pearl buttons. But when he saw our DaBrim sunshades he revealed himself as an avid cyclist. He had been trying to jury rig something just like that, he said, but this was great. He ran to get his phone to record the name so he could track down one for himself. Dunno. I am not sure the flamboyant Da Brim image is exactly "French".

Our elegant French desk clerk admires the flamboyant but useful DaBrim visors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Morning light on the bridge at Glen, looking away from town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is our route today (in green)
Heart 0 Comment 0

If you have ever picked a book to read from your shelf, that had been read some years before, you will know the disconcerting feeling of sort of remembering sections and sort of knowing what is going to happen. It'seems like that for us here a bit, since we passed through this area in 2012. It is also fun to read our blog from then to see where we went and what we thought. In summary,me went farther each day (younger), but had exactly the same thoughts (too old to change).

One thing back then we were interested to see an old shepherd with a white sheep dog herding goats and sheep along the south bank near Glen. It was a clever way to use the unallocated lands along the river, but it seemed kind of medieval.

Now, near Briare, we found the same man, dog, and sheep. It was a nice flashback.

The shepherd and the white dog.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In another flashback, at Briare, we had approached (in some other year) from the east, and we're grateful to find a place to stay out by the canal. Next day we took extra time to explore the town, and found a wonderful church all decorated in tile and mosaic.

In the middle of the nineteenth century, Jean-Felix Bapterosse set up a factory in Briare in order to produce jewelry beads, and later mosaic tiles. At that time, the worldwide recognition of "Emaux de Briare"’s colors won Briare the nickname of « the city of pearls. The church was Bapterosse'so gift to the town. We did not go in this time since mass was ongoing, but even the front is really unique and impressive.

The bridge-canal at Briare
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our well remembered St Etienne church in Briare
Heart 0 Comment 0
A closer look at the mosaic at the top. Zoom in to really see it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Last night'so hoped for sleep cure for the heavy cold did not happen for Dodie, and today she was worse. She gamely pedaled along, but it was clear we needed another shot at a long sleep. So when in Belleville, as we passed along a canal, a hotel offered a direct entree from the path, we took it.

Though Belleville has little more than a bakery and a restaurant, this Logis hotel was new and luxurious. No matter, we needed it. Of course in France even luxury does not mean automatic access to features that are standard in North America. So the lady asked me if we wanted a room with a shower. The slumping Dodie's ears perked up at this, and she thought to ask what about a bath (usually unheard of). But yes, a mere 11 euros over the the 80 euro base rate would land us a bath!

It turned out to be a super, deep, if narrow one. Really ideal when you feel sick. And under the circumstances 11 euros? So what.

In the room, after the bath, Dodie picked up the book of services that hotels commonly put in the rooms. Here she found the "fish pedicure". They say the fish have little suckeres and give your feet thousands of little kisses. They says it's good for your nervous system and leaves your skin smooth.

I am not interested in the price. The answer is no!

Belleville is on a canal lateral to the Loire
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 309 km (192 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0