Day 27: You do the math - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2015

Day 27: You do the math

Haven't the English ever heard of a switchback? For crying out loud!

I am sure I have ridden on a road with a grade of 25%, but I cant recall riding on a road that is over 25% for any length of time, until today. As far as terrain it was killer. As far as the day itself it was fabulous.

When you bike tour its not necessarily the easiest day that makes it a great day, its the countryside, the weather, the winds, etc. And sometimes you have to put in a hell of a lot of work to get to places that are great. Today had all that, even though some parts were a bitch.

We rolled through Yorkshire and picturesque country with rolling hills and stone fences, sheep, always sheep, horses and people riding said horses and green valleys and farms. There was tea, always tea, and scones with cream and jam. There was sun and tailwinds too. And there was 25% grades.

We had to push our bikes up much of it, okay a LOT of it. Some parts were so steep we teamed up. Usually Steph pushed from behind, kind of like a helper locomotive on a steep railway line.

Once to the top, and the great views, came the treacherous downhills. It didn't help that my brakes need tightening and I have been too lazy to do that.

The only good thing is that pushing the bike, and coasting downhill, does not cause creaking noises when I pedal.

But even THAT worked out because when we arrived in Leyburn there was a bike shop! Not only did the guy fix the creaking noise (something to do with the bottom bracket) but he installed new brake pads. Bring on the 25% down hills!

Tomorrow we head to Durham. Wooo hooo!

Yeah, it was that kind of day. See sign on right. Grade, 1 in 4. You do the math.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steph the helper engine. This is just after she helped push my bike up the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Going up
Heart 1 Comment 0
...and going down.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were not always alone out there though
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old road signs. Cool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sheep giving the church yard lawn a trim
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 960 miles (1,545 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0