Day 27: Unity - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2015

Day 27: Unity

The Durham Minor's Gala is an annual event held on the second Saturday in July to support coal minor's union. And although there are no more mines in the area, the event continues and other unions (such as teachers union) are represented. It's a cool event which I support, being a part of a union myself. The highlight of the festival seems to be the procession of banners, accompanied by brass bands, through the city center through throngs of people (many of who have pushed back a few too many pints) lining the route.

Unfortunately it fell on the second Saturday in July, which just happens to be today, the day we wanted to find a bed and breakfast, take a rest day and relax. Instead we found ourselves in a mob scene with no rooms at the inn, or any inn for the most part.

After arriving Steph stood on bike guard duty and Leo and I unsuccessfully scoured the city for a hotel room. After 60 miles of riding we were pretty tired. We couldn't wild camp because it was too urban and there was no place wild in sight. So we rolled out of the city and eventually found an outrageously priced hotel that had room, probably because it was outrageously priced, but what can you do?

Today's ride was a nice change to mostly flat. It was a nice ride on secondary roads in the sun. Mostly, though it was uneventful. Therefore this journal entry wont make you laugh and it won't make you cry. You might, however, question your sanity on why you read it at all?

Tomorrow we head for the coast. WOO-HOOO!!

Marching through town with union banners
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 1,025 miles (1,650 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0