Day 92 - Friday harbor, WA to Fort Casey, WA - Can('t) Hurt Me - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2021

Day 92 - Friday harbor, WA to Fort Casey, WA

Friday the 13

Today we decided to take the 11 am ferry to Anacortes, so we had a nice breakfast at Johns house.

Wow. I could eat oatmeal forever
Heart 1 Comment 0

We packed up and he took a picture of us for his warm showers board. We went down to town and waited with the other walk aboards. The sky was still smoky, so we didn't geta great view. We have seen several pictures of harbor wildlife with a mountain in the background (Mt baker?), But I don't think we have seen it yet. Locals only I suppose. The ride was a nice no stops cruise for about an hour twenty. We were dropped off at the port and got our route picked out.

The smoke as seen from Whidbey
Heart 2 Comment 0

We decided to stay off of hwy 20 as much as possible and paid the price with the coastal hills. It was alot more scenic though. We made it to deception pass in about 10 miles and stopped for some more sight seeing. The traffic was backed up pretty far so it was tough to get back into the road after we got off. Cars weren't keen on letting us in front of them for the bridge.

The bridge as seen from the cliffs
Heart 2 Comment 0

We only had about 20 more miles to get to fort Casey, where were were going to camp for the night. The ride was pretty easy and we stopped at small grocery store nearby to get stuff for another curry. It turns out that it is possible to get tired of curry. Mary isn't too excited about it, but I could eat the same thing for ages. We arrived at camp and our sites were right beside the bathroom. It was a big RV party camp, so I wasn't excited for the evening since there were several bros playing yard games. We cooked dinner and met another touring cyclist who had just flown in on Alaska. She said they damaged her bike en-route and was on the phone trying to get compensation with no luck. This might be a sign to ship the bikes instead of check them. We ate the delicious curry and went for a walk to the dank fort. I say dank because it was awesome and also had damp/dank basements.

Part of the fort
Heart 2 Comment 0

The sunset was foiled by clouds so we went back to camp and went to bed around 9. Although it was loud, I didn't have trouble getting to sleep.

Mileage:35
Altitude gain:2200

I'm a military man, and a family man.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 4,727 miles (7,607 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0