Day 24 - Chester, IL to Farmington, MO - Can('t) Hurt Me - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2021

Day 24 - Chester, IL to Farmington, MO

Moo zeri

We were trying to leave from the eagles lodge early so we made overnight oats, but by the time everyone was ready it was already 8. We went across the two lane bridge that crosses the Mississippi as a group of 8 and got a picture at the Missouri sign.

Mississippi from the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge. Alot of people get an escort across
Heart 3 Comment 0

The day started easy as we went through the Mississippi plain for about 10 miles. You could see the hills coming in the distance and once we arrived, they were tough rollers. The wind was picking up so each downhill was tempered. At least the hill blocked the wind during the climb but it was really hot and humid as well. We pulled off several times to  cool down and I could tell my heart rate was getting out of hand a few times. The road here can appear flat but is actually pretty steep. We have heard that Missouri can be a mentally challenging place.

Missouri hills
Heart 3 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch at a tiger rehab place and got cold water from their spigot. We wanted to make good time to Farmington to visit the bike shop before it closed at 4, so it was a tough few miles in the heat. We only had to cover 47 today but I'm not sure we could have done more. Wes, who we met yesterday was having hike troubles too and barely made it into town. I went to the shop and bought a pair of clipless shoes and pedals. We went to meet everyone at al's bike hostel. The hostel is an old converted jail that is managed by the city.

Inside the jail
Heart 0 Comment 0

The crew was already there and there was a fair going on in town so we walked in looking for food. The scene was very American: a small but lively downtown with fair foods, rides, and old person rock/ country western music. Mary and I promptly left and got Mexican food since everything was meat. We met back up at the hostel and after a few hours of testing made a trip to Walmart. While everyone was shopping I adjusted my shoes and seat height. I think I'll be ready for tomorrow. Hopefully a stiffer sole will be just what I need, but I have to carry around two spare sets of pedals since the post office is closed on Sundays! I am also considering sending my sleeping bag home since it will be warm until Wyoming, but I haven't decided yet. I'll have to decide before tomorrow sometime though.

Mileage:47
Altitude gain: 3500

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 1,243 miles (2,000 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0