Overnight ferry to Kobe - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2023

Overnight ferry to Kobe

Pay phones do still exist.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waving farewell to Miziyaki and Kyushu.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farewell Kyushu. We will return, with motor!
Heart 0 Comment 0

It feels like this ship has been completely refurbished. Our room is comfortable with 2  twin beds, a table with 2 chairs, a toilet and a big window. Of course, kimonos and slippers are provided. Shower facilities are plentiful onboard, so no need to splash out on a more expensive room. The ship is not as grand as the Sunflower ferry we took to Kyushu, but this one is designed in a very functional style with lots of room to sit in common areas or seek out entertainment. As well, vending machines offer a lot of options for food, beverages and ice cream. Microwaves and hot water on demand are available as well. It is very civilized. There is no inflated price on things you would purchase onboard.

With so many islands in Japan, ferries are an essential service. They clearly have it figured out.

The dinner buffet was really good with lots of options, a few Western but mostly Japanese.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Miso soup, rice, Japanese entrees and little gelatin cups for dessert.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The ferry line hires young, aspiring performers to entertain on the ship. The young woman was very good.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Many seating areas and functional design on the ship. A enjoyable journey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Well stocked vending machines….ice cream, buns with savoury fillings like black bean paste, soups, beverages….pretty much anything you could want and very inexpensive.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Onsens for men and women. Also there great facilities and lovely showers for those of us with only toilets in our cabin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our cabin.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Time to sleep.
Heart 1 Comment 0

All too soon, we awoke from a great sleep, and prepared for a 7:30 disembarkation in Kobe. How exciting, you go to sleep and wake up on a different island.

Our cabin was very comfortable - we both slept well.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was a nightmare. We were instructed to take a specific elevator to the car deck, which was unfortunately at the wrong end of the ship. This deck we shared with the big trucks and it was full with every truck idling their engines. We had to navigate this tight space, breathing in exhaust and trying to get our trikes before the trucks were moving. So claustrophobic.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh gosh - - yuck, having to smell the trucks' exhaust and trying to get to your trikes on the ferry!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
We were glad to finally reach our quiet end of the ship. We are ready to go.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It is 7:30 and we will ride and explore Kobe. Some breakfast and black coffee will be a priority.  A good journey. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0