A Restorative Stay in Aya and on to Miyazaki - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2023

A Restorative Stay in Aya and on to Miyazaki

Our hostess was not expecting any guests and was initially a bit wary as she felt unprepared to offer her usual level of hospitality. So sorry, I cannot remember her name as we were pretty tired and forget to jot her name in our notebook.  She is known for her food and its healing properties. She could see that we were struggling. We reassured her that we had food with us and that we would be ok.
We shared a long conversation in English/Japanese and after choosing our room for the night, she quickly initiated running the bath and getting everything ready for us. We learned that her home is next door and this house would be exclusively for us. It is so relaxing to have your own space. She emphasized that we should arise and leave only when we were ready. She was unconcerned about the time.

We feel like we hit the jackpot. We have come to realize that this woman and her business are unique and exclusive….the fact that we stumbled upon it when we needed it most is true serendipity.

 The design of this home makes you feel like you are staying in nature, yet within the confines of a building. There are high ceilings, banks of floor to ceiling windows, special Japanese wood on the floors and walls, stained glass detail built in, unique pottery, beautiful art and her gardens meet you at the window.  The tranquility of this space is no accident. It has been lovingly built and created.  

The bath made of cypress was divine. Our host was most concerned about Barry’s height…how will he fit on the bed? how will he fit in the tub? Well, he managed and it was just what he needed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry awoke refreshed and happy to face another day.
Heart 4 Comment 0
When we arrived our host was so upset that she had no food ready for us…after all she did not know that any guests were coming. We awoke to this special breakfast she had prepared for us as a surprise. She had quietly left our meal with a note. Such consideration.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This room is a wonderful space with high ceilings and different levels to relax. The hand carved furniture is lovely. Her home is close by beyond the glass doors, but you can ‘t see it as her garden gives complete privacy.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, what a nice room! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Her father lived an impactful life in many ways and was Mayor of Aya 50 years ago. He had travelled to Canada at that time to learn about logging practices. He returned to Aya and vowed not to let the forests be logged in this area. There were many articles about him as well as about his daughter concerning their philanthropic work in nature conservation as well as her renown in culinary pursuits promoting healing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Barry was excited to see her stereo set up with tube amps and walls of books. We feel at home here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The aerial room of the room where we ate also shows the beautiful grand piano. Mary Ellen had a great time playing this instrument. A good way to unwind from a long day on the road. The tone and responsiveness of the keys were outstanding…a treat.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice to have the piano to play! :) :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
The entry door to our place. Everything is so thoughtfully designed. As you walk along the path through the garden she has created, you suddenly see this door. Magical
Heart 1 Comment 0
This path leads through the garden to where we will be staying. When we arrived last night it was dusk and our way was lit by the globe lights. We really didn’t know what to expect.
Heart 2 Comment 0
You would not believe that the place where we spent the night is directly behind the 7-Eleven.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It is mosquito season and the fans were going full blast. The translation loosely refers to the fan repellant at the door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This church was next door to the 7-Eleven.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ready to roll. What a difference a good sleep and the restorative effects of our stay in Aya have had.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These two women seemed to be pretty excited. They were watering flowers and started waving and calling to me. Well, we had a robust conversation in Japanese and English with none of us understanding what the other said. Nonetheless there was a lot of goodwill and laughter.
Heart 3 Comment 0

This encounter made us realize how rare it is for locals to see travellers like us who come from far away. We have experienced genuine interest from people we have met here  and their desire to make us feel welcome and communicate anyway they can.

We were excited to find the sign for the cycle path to Miyazaki. We had read that it existed, but it doesn’t appear on any maps, so it was reassuring to see the sign.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This doesn’t seem right…the path doesn’t ‘t look new, we are going in the wrong direction and it feels like we are on our way back to the hills we left behind yesterday. We turned around.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Keith AdamsRhut rho, Rorge...
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
And here it is…the shiny new bike path. How exciting. It promises to be a leisurely ride to Miyazaki about 40 Km away.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The luxury of a bridge to yourself cannot be underestimated.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are not accustomed to genuine apologies for the disruption of a detour.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice to see the sign they have created to make the path more meaningful to visitors.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsThe rest of the world could take a lesson from Japanese courtesy and manners, I'm thinking.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Wow there are even covered picnic rest stops. It would make a perfect place to wild camp. There are bathrooms and the river nearby.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This sign once again apologizes for any inconvenience we experienced because of the detour. Also, a reminder to children to wear helmets.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bliss
Heart 1 Comment 0
We never tire of seeing the rice fields.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our favourite tree providing some much needed shade.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A close up view of a blossom from the tree. We have a solid head wind today and it is blowing around these blossoms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These mountains have been our constant companions and at times our foe when we had to climb them. It has been a great ride nonetheless.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding along this wonderful landscape makes us want to return to Kyushu one day. When Barry has a functioning motor, we will certainly want to continue exploring the west coast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another covered eating area with bathrooms.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are hoping to find some Koi wind socks to put on our flag poles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have been following this river from Aya to Miziyaki.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From a distance we could not figure out what the brown speck was…now we know.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And here he is..a dedicated fisher. This is a popular sport in Japan.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first glimpse of Miziyaki.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoyed seeing this as we have been watching birds along this ride and some we did not know.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is an activity space for people to walk or exercise along the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now this was a funny moment. We pulled in to a Family Mart to get a cold drink and more importantly to use the bathroom. An older man was so excited to see Barry that he rushed in and bought these cold coffee with soda drinks for us. And then he was gone..as quick as that.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith AdamsOne of those phenomena that seems unique to the cycle touring experience.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice of him. :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

It is an easy ride to the Ferry  Port and we got there with hours to spare. It is customary in Japan to pay for your passage the day it sails. We had no trouble getting a cabin, and the time passed quickly as you can’t beat people watching in this situation.

Our ferry is ready to go…we are waiting to board with the motorcycles….first the footies and trucks, then the cars and us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a character. He looks ready to travel too. We saw him later onboard in his carry on cage.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Susan JamesHow cute! At first I thought he was transposed onto a person with clothing because of the positioning of the window then I realized it's his own clothes!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
A sober reminder of the many natural dangers Japan deals with.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This luggage has the smartest design we have seen. The kids have footrests and a place for hanging on. Good for the parents and fun for the kids.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We are on board and the crew are very serious about ensuring that our trikes are safe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Whew…job done. Thanks guys. This sure isn’t Bc Ferries!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have set sail. It is always an exciting moment when you set off into the unknown for another adventure.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 646 km (401 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith AdamsSo glad you had such a fantastic opportunity to recover from a really hard experience.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago