Kobayashi to Aya - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2023

Kobayashi to Aya

The Darkest Day

We have been seeing a trend in Kyushu of hotels and some homes being built with freight containers. From the outside, we weren’t too sure about its esthetic, but inside it was very pleasing and comfortable. Earlier today we passed a business where the fellow is selling container housing and he is called The Container King. We would recommend the Halo Hotel in Kobayashi and it includes a nice breakfast.

Packed up and ready to go, but a few details of our day’s ride need sorting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another sunny hot day on Kyushu
Heart 1 Comment 0
We liked the breakfast and we appreciated the fresh fruit and fried eggs….a touch of home, plus some Japanese dishes as well.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This sign sums up this area of Kyushu….rice fields, hay being harvested, flowers and volcanic mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The mountains have been with us for some days.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is difficult to capture the beauty of the area when using an iPhone, but we are pretty happy with Barry’s new iphone 14. Our big camera often stays in the pack on hard days of riding, like this day promises to be.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Big freight trucks and logging trucks use this route. This morning it is not too bad. The hills and narrow shoulders may prove to be challenging as the day goes on.

We have been reading that this area of Kyushu is suffering a decline of population and businesses closing down. We have seen many businesses and homes abandoned, left to deteriorate. Kayobashi is struggling with this, but we understand that Mizyiaki is working successfully to combat this trend.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is just what the doctor ordered..a bakery! We had our eye on a 7-Eleven across the road, but this bakery was too enticing to resist.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Wow, it looks like an incredible bakery and how do you choose?
Heart 4 Comment 0
This special table features baking with a spring theme.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a choice Mary Ellen picked. The prices were incredible…about a dollar per item. It was delicious.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We could not understand the description of this cake, except that it has strawberry cream on top with a glaze. It turns out that it was different types of bread. A mix of sweet and savoury.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barry had one of these and he loved it. It is hard to describe but once again there was a slightly sweet element paired with the savoury.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was delectable…two pieces of thick bread grilled together with cheese on the bottom and a sweetness on top. We don’t understand the origin of this idea….sweet and savoury. No matter, we liked it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
I could watch this guy all day…my favourite part was when he would slightly back up and then push forward…and out popped the hay bale. Wouldn’t our forebears be astonished by this technology.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It is a hot sultry day. The humidity is building for a storm in a day or two.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This unnamed tree is a common sight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have learned that Japanese culture includes a love of cute stuffed animals and happy images. This truck driver certainly loves it too.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just at the right time, we see a sign for a Michi no Eki coming up.We liked the pottery sign which greeted us as we entered.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Michi no Ekis are a welcome sight for cyclists…there is always ice cream, the bathrooms are excellent, you learn about the crafts and products of the area…..This building is a treasure trove of local produce, meat and other specialty items like crafts.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mangoes are so good here on Kyushu. We shared this cone topped with fresh local mango. Their preparation was great…the mango was slightly frozen and as you ate the ice cream, it gradually thawed.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat cone of ice cream with the Mangoes looks DELICIOUS! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
This area of the Michi no Eki shop featured baking, sweets and delicious local specialities.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wow, this couple came up and spoke to us…in flawless English. The fellow has done a lot of travelling. As usual we said that we were from Canada…British Colombia…a small island and we finally resort to “near Vancouver”. His response however was different…which Island? He had spent time on Salt Spring Island and had befriended a Japanese woman who lives there. Of course now, I can remember names but at the time my mind went blank. We had a wonderful visit with them.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I spoke earlier of the deteriorating condition of some of the homes and abandoned business along this route to Aya, but in contrast, much effort is made to have flowers and pretty bushes along the way. At our slow pace, we really appreciated seeing their efforts and pride in their communities.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A produce stand that caught our eye, but the cat carving on the right is what we were drawn to.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Struggling up a long hill. You can see from Mary Ellen’s cycle computer that Barry without a motor is working hard to maintain a pace of about 5 km/hr.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A smart and creative gardener…from a distance I could not figure out what I was seeing. The fruit is well protected from the birds with paper bags attached carefully to each piece of fruit.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith AdamsBoy that's a lot of work!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltGreat idea - but I agree, a lot of work!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Nature is taking over this abandoned gas station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cheerful and beautiful welcome to this community. Sometimes, such plantings are just in the middle of nowhere. We appreciated their efforts.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dredging and preparing the area for planting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another beautiful rural scene along the way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Different regions can be typified by the lighting along the roads and highways. We like the Japanese lanterns we have seen, but these green globes with the farm animals typical of the area were a favourite too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aya, our destination, must be coming soon.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In writing the  journal today, I am struck by the extraordinary events of the day….and everyday  in Japan, this has been the case. Sometimes at the end of the day, our minds are so full of the collection of memories, events and encounters with locals we have had, that it is hard to remember where we began that day.

Today, the ride has been exceptionally difficult with countless steep climbs and descents and too many freight trucks and logging trucks crowding us on the road. We were both exhausted, but Barry, with no motor, hit a dark place. We had considered wild camping as there was no accommodation available, but that seemed like too much work…so we carried on.

I encouraged him that we were very close to Aya and that it was less hilly, but little did I know that this added several circuitous Km to our route. Barry was done.

 We arrived in Aya and none of the accommodation we found on google maps was either available or had closed down. It was dusk and we knocked on a door of what we thought was a Minshuku and there was “no room at the inn”.  In fact, we don’t think she offers accommodation. She ran to the next house and convinced a woman who runs a very unique and special Minshuku to open her premises and give us lodging for the night.

And that is where the magic begins. I will tell all in tomorrow’s journal. 

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 575 km (357 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0