A bike route of Osaka’s highlights and hidden gems - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2023

A bike route of Osaka’s highlights and hidden gems

Part 1

We are really enjoying our extended stay at KKR Hotel Osaka. As well as being a beautiful hotel, it is perfectly situated in the quiet district of of Osaka Castle and its grounds. The comfort and service here are outstanding.

This beautiful samurai statue is the lobby of the hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This will be the route we will take through parts of Osaka.it is about 65 Km long…so we will probably do it is two days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buildings are fascinating here as they can be any shape or size…the only criteria seems to be that it fits the space. It is not uncommon to see an apt building which has several floors and is very narrow, but is only one room wide…and this could be alongside a massive tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are in an area of very narrow lanes…one car or trike only, and we came around the corner to see this shrine…Himekoso Shrine.

We are literally the size of the paved road here…to make a turn we had to do it in steps.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Shrines are always a peaceful and spiritual space to take some time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cat wasn’t too happy to share the space with us…his look says it all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Himekosa Shrine - truly a hidden gem.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Space is an issue and we continually see creative ideas implemented to deal with storage. Elevator garages for cars and bikes are common sights.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This narrow labyrinth of walkways is a seafood market. It starts out well, but as we got deeper in, it got busier and we had to make an escape as we were too big and in the way. At one point we were stranded by a turn that was too sharp. We jumped off and lifted our trikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another small shopping district down a small street. It seems to be typical to have either a sign like this or a neon sign indicating what type of shops are here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the shops were closed for the day. It is interesting to see where locals shop in the neighbourhood. The covered areas like this are so much cooler. Rain is forecast for Friday and everyday it is getting hotter and more humid.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A shrine in the neighbourhood.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Osaka has a massive Korea Town, a modern side and the older side where we are.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As always, food is plentiful and varied in its offerings. The sights and smells are wonderful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a busy place for shopping and visiting. We will walk our trikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This vibrant and busy place has whatever you may need.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This dog has been dressed for the occasion. The young woman has struggled valiantly to make him keep his wee straw hat on…but without success. Much work has been done as well to decorate the dog’s stroller.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tasty concoction …eggs, cheese, veggies and ?
Heart 1 Comment 2
Susan JamesYum! Korean pancakes.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Barry BartlettAgree, so tasty. We are thinking of storing our trikes and coming back in the fall to do more of Kyushu as Barry’s motor problem cut our time short….and then Korea. Making up for lost time during pandemic.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
As this awning shows, the buildings and shops in this part of Korea town originate from the 1940’s
Heart 1 Comment 0
Korea town covers a large area in Osaka, and this shopping district covers several blocks. You can feel the sense of community here. We as tourists are the exception here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A butcher shop with fresh meat and prepared dishes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The choice and variety is overwhelming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If only this photo could transmit the amazing aromas of this food. Yum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
School is out for the day and these girls are headed home. As they walked past us they giggled and were very curious. Korea town has given us an incredible experience.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry couldn’t resist this treat. Fresh fruit on a stick coated in a sugar syrup. Delicious but the sugar overload may be with him for a while.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are winding our way through another neighbourhood of homes. It feels like an oasis away from the busy main roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Shitenonji Buddhist shrine is the Temple of the Four Heavenly Kings. It is regarded as the first and is one of the oldest temples in Japan. This temple is the first to be built by the State. It was founded in 593 by Prince Shotoku who helped to introduce Buddhism to Japan.

During  the third week of every month, there is an antique flea market here on the grounds of the temple. We would love to see that.

This place is certainly one of the must see sites in Osaka with its beautiful buildings, gardens and sanctuary for turtles who have been given a home here. An extraordinary place.

This young man rode past me 3 times before he gained the confidence to stop. What a charming young man. It turns out that he had gone home to get his phone so that we could communicate.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This gate features two of the Heavenly Kings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The five storey pagoda
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was nice to meet this family from the Netherlands. We both commented that there were very few tourists here at the Temple.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This large area with two connecting pools provide a home for turtles who have been pets and discarded. The turtles have a good life here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It's time for a dip.
Heart 3 Comment 0
So refreshing…it is a hot day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The turtles loved this spot. When they had had enough of the sun, you would hear the scratching sound of their feet as they slid down the ramp into the water.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This area for the turtles enhanced the wonderful feel of this temple.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A final shot of these well cared for turtles. We also saw two old men who come here regularly with treats for the turtles.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 760 km (472 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0