Day 2 of our trike tour of Osaka - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2023

Day 2 of our trike tour of Osaka

This route that Barry found has been extraordinary. It has indeed taken us to Osaka’s highlights, and also to the hidden gems. Yesterday, it took us most of the day to cover 30 Km as there was so  much to see and we took our time. Today we will finish this route.

Riding in big cities in Japan has been an education for us. This photo, shows a generous area for us to ride. However, this lane will often just disappear or be taken over by cars. When traffic is busy it is best to ride on the sidewalk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Japan excels at adding happy images like this to buildings, and they usually feature cute animals. 😺
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our first stop of the route today is at one of the many incredible parks in the city…Tenoji Park. 

Barry offered to take this family’s photo.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tenoji Park is a busy place…with lovely vast  grounds, a zoo, Osaka Museum of Fine Arts and plenty of space to relax in nature.

The skyscraper at the rear is called Harukas, and it is the tallest building in Osaka. It towers over 300 metres tall. It is a symbol of the effort to revitalize the Tenoji area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cats are everywhere.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike AylingNo cats on bicycles?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The kiddies are off to the zoo. Class groupings are always identified by the matching hats the children wear.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another random encounter with locals. We have never experienced such genuine kindness and friendly local people like we have in Japan. We think that our strange look with low slung trikes and our response to their greeting with Konichiwa and a smile with a bow of our head breaks the ice.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rarely understand  fully the conversation we have just had, but we do appreciate the joy of the experience.

How can you be in a bad mood with this guy beaming at you?
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is midday and the crowds are growing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At times the crowds can be overwhelming and it feels like there is no way through. And then, like an improvised dance, one person shifts and there is magically a passage through which we can slowly weave. It is a wonderfully cooperative sharing of a busy space. We can’t imagine riding like this in Canada without anger of frustration being directed at us. It is extraordinary that everyone gets along.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A capsule shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The menu of this place is eye catching and massive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tsurenkakyen Tower is the second tower to occupy this site. The original tower was patterned after the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe in 1912. In 1943 the tower was badly damaged and the steel was used for the war effort. The new 8 sided tower was built in 1956. It advertises Hitachi.

Enjoying the day in this crazy, colourful place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A seafood restaurant with McDonald’s alongside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Orange Street is one of the hip shopping areas of Osaka with trendy clothing shops featuring new and “reused” clothing . Plus it is the place to find new and unusual furniture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cats are a beloved animal here and their image is featured everywhere. We like that!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Utsubo Park is a special place with an award winning rose garden, beautiful grounds and is well used. It was originally a US Airfield and that is the reason for its 700x100 metre shape. 

We saw these life like statues from a distance and thought that these were real people. Very striking. This one is called “First Ride”.
Heart 0 Comment 0
“Big Sister” was the first statue I saw and was taken by the emotional connection it showed. So lifelike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
May is considered the best time to visit these gardens as the roses are at their best.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These vast and colourful gardens are beautiful. We are lucky to be here in May when the roses are at their peak.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesBarry’s like another flower there.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
So many beautiful roses here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Trikes are enjoying the view.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This pug was enjoying his day at the park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And this crazy little guy just wanted to play.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The little dog was running circles around me.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Japanese maples create such a beautiful, delicate green environment. It is very hot and humid today, yet it is cool under the canopy of the trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Next stop in our ride is Nenkoshina Gardens.  We discovered that bird life is quite an attraction here for locals. Heron, cormorants have taken roost here.

There are so many heron in this park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Herons in herons in the trees, on the shore and perched on logs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
….And on the bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Herons, cormorants and turtles co-existing at the park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This older gentleman had been feeding the turtles…he comes every day.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We finished our ride along the River which is the banking district. Kyoto has offered us such a variety of neighbourhoods with local colour, the traditional and the new. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
The Museum of Modern Art
Heart 0 Comment 0
Modernity in Osaka along the river’s banking district.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Navigating construction along the river walk. Cute animals are often used on these barriers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our ride finished with a lovely ride along the river in the banking district.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 805 km (500 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThank you for taking us along on your trip to Japan. We are having a great time!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago