A Beautiful Ride: mountains, rice fields, tunnels and headwinds - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2023

A Beautiful Ride: mountains, rice fields, tunnels and headwinds

Tsuruga to Obama

Made the classic mistake last night of trying to sort out some details of our plans for Hokkaido before going to sleep. We stayed up too late and had to scramble to check out and deal with things. 

Our first order of business was to ride to the ferry terminal and hopefully book our cabin for Monday’s sailing to Otaru. We have learned on this trip that each ferry company has their own unique approach to ticketing, as to when they will let you book, reserve or pay. We don’t like to leave   it to chance as accommodation will be needed for a 24 hour journey.

We don’t know the meaning of these quirky statues, but Dr. Dinosaur seems to be located near train stations.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Riding out to the port gave us a different understanding of Tsuruga and its economy. Huge operations like this cement plant were near the Ferry Port.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Getting to the Port proved to be a bit of a challenge as we rode against a tough headwind coming in off the Sea of Japan. As we got closer the spray of the Sea and the clamour of the sea birds welcomed us.

The young woman who works for Shin Nikonhai was great. As their ferries leave and arrive late at night we were the only people there. She spoke some English but there were miscommunications. We tried to explain that we wanted to take the ferry from Maizuru on Monday. She was very sorry, but said that the ferry would not be working on Monday. We were so disappointed, but we finally figured out that she was saying that Monday is her day off. We had many .laughs with her
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is the ship that we will be on for our 23 hour crossing to Hokkaido.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The wind and spray of the Sea of Japan is strong here. Japan has to deal with a lot of garbage on their shores that washes in from China. For a country that has such high standards regarding littering, this must be very distressing for them.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Susan JamesYou just solved an old puzzle for me. I went to the beaches of Japan years ago and was surprised at how littered they were considering the pre-occupation with litter the Japanese have. They must have been the day's littering from garbage washing up on shore.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the garbage that comes in with the tide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of our many tunnels today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped for the usual at the Convenience Store…bathroom break and coffee, in that order. These three don’t know each other, but they shared a fascination for who and what we are. The fellow on the right spoke for the group as he spoke English.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Kehi Jingu Shinto shrine. The 11 metre tall Torii gate is the third largest wooden Torii gate in Japan. The shrine was destroyed during WW11 bombing. However the gate survived.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Outer Haiden
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The fellow who took us under his wing and showed us his neighbourhood shrine, taught us how to perform this ritual.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sake barrels
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Worshippers will visit each of these shrines and will bow, clap twice and bow again
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A wooden wishing rack called an ema. They are used by people to write their prayers on paper and hang them up at the shrine
Heart 1 Comment 0
Purification fountain
Heart 1 Comment 0
Good idea…
Heart 4 Comment 0
This countryside continues to amaze us with its vibrancy and the rushing power of waterways.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped at a Family Mart and Barry came out with one of these. I was expecting an ice cream treat and I got Spam!!!!!!!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonWas it good? I loved Spam when I was a kid.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Not an experience to be repeated
Heart 2 Comment 4
Suzanne GibsonOh, here's the answer.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Susan Jameshahahahaha
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Barry BartlettHi Susan
We really appreciate your interest and your supportive comments. I think that any approach to travel is good as long as it suits your needs and timeline. We have the luxury of 3 months which gives us a lot of flexibility, but I think that you are very wise to have your trip planned out so that you can enjoy the ride and not worry about details. Some days I wish that we were more organized! We are on Hokkaido now and it feels great. There is a different feeling here…can’t wait to explore. We have taken a few days to relax in Otaru as we are both feeling a bit under the weather, but today we are headed to Sapporo and will get back on track with the journal. I am curious what your route will be on Hokkaido.
Wishing you all the best.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltThat Spam sandwich looks a bit disgusting... :/
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
The Sea of Japan
Heart 2 Comment 0
Debris on the beach. It is interesting that we wouldn’t be bothered so much by it, but here Japanese people take great care not to litter. Often an individual will be cleaning up the growth of weeds or whatever on a sidewalk, or in a park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We had at least ten tunnels today
Heart 1 Comment 0
We came across a farmer working on his rice field. The flock of hawks were lined up patiently waiting for their turn to gobble a frog or two
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsIt's surprising that tractor doesn't sink axle-deep in mud.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
A rice field monster
Heart 4 Comment 0
We rode through a long valley with mountains on each side. Rice field after rice field filled the valley for about 20 kilometres.
Heart 5 Comment 0
An iconic image of Japan's countryside
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
So many tunnels today. They can be super loud and narrow but they give a respite from the heat and stop the climbing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the tunnels were ok to ride. The drivers were very patient, however the noise in the tunnels is deafening.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have arrived in Obama. We don’t have any accommodation and it is getting late. We rode through the street parallel to the sea and this charming well maintained historic area what we have wanting to see. The Nishifumoto District and its scenic Sanchomachi St has been maintained to reflect the classic architecture of Obama’s time as a bustling port community. The crew would leave their ships to rejoin the welcoming warmth of tea houses and other establishments that line these streets. Now it is primarily residential with small shops and it oozes old world Japanese charm. Delightful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our view from our room.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The sun is setting on a beautiful and interesting day.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Enjoy the final photos of the sun setting over Obama Bay.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,429 km (887 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0