Rest day in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2022

Rest day in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana

We had planned to take a day off riding today so the only things we needed to do were move to the hotel we’d booked in town for the next two nights and visit a laundromat (I’d already found one in town, conveniently very close to our new hotel.

The place we stayed in desperation is actually pretty nice but the location is terrible if you are travelling by bicycle.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was mostly a downhill coast to town and the Albergo Antica Lanterna wasn’t hard to find. We went first to the address indicated on our booking but the real entrance was through the outdoor restaurant around the back. Check-in was from 10 a.m. on so we were shown right to our room. Al asked about breakfast and they served us coffee and pastries. We liked this place already!

Just a light breakfast. This was for two.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonPretty sad, and nothing nutritious!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetBetter than nothing at 10:30 on a Sunday morning.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Next up, laundry. The laundromat was maybe 50 m away but how to wash our clothes?  It took us a long time to decide that the washers must dispense detergent automatically since there was nowhere to add it and the vending machine that sold various additives didn’t have it. We should have read the sign!

Right there in red in Step 1. Do not add detergent.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonAren’t laundromats fun! I did laundry yesterday and the first spot I went to didn’t exist so I had to go to a second spot! It’s fun lugging laundry around on a hot day.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetWe usually hand wash each day with an occasional laundromat visit. In Spain we lucked out as many of the apartments we stayed in had washers. All different, with no instructions.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

There isn’t much in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana. We aren’t up for doing either of the big day rides I’d planned but we will do a shorter one tomorrow. Then a couple of big days again.

Al had a Sicilian beer with lunch
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonIt must be the perspective but that looks like a huge beverage.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetIt’s a 33 cl one, so normal size. But the one he had in San Gemignano de Moriano, midway on a long ride, was 66 cl. I wouldn’t be able to ride after one of those. He did fine.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Healthy lunch salads. Since many restaurant meals don’t seem to include much in the way of vegetables and you can never tell if a 10€ salad will be large or small, the occasional salad lunch helps even things out.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Castelnuovo di Garfagnana isn’t a particularly inspiring town to me, but there were sure a lot of day/weekend visitors yesterday.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Castelnuovo di Garfagnana is at the confluence of two rivers so there are several bridges.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dinner at our hotel was delicious. The portions here were medium-sized; Al ate all of his primi and secondi piattas. I was meant to share the secondi but I was too slow.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0