Asti to Vercelli - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2022

Asti to Vercelli

We got up early today so we could do most of our ride before it got really hot.  The alarm went off at 5 and we were on the road before 8.  Not bad for us.

Once we got out of Asti with its urban sprawl, the ride was very scenic. A few climbs but nothing overwhelming and some nice descents too.  

The view from the top of the first climb. Is that the Alps?
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is! Too bad I didn’t know the Matterhorn was behind a tree from this angle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wow! I like this!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking east
Heart 2 Comment 0

The fun lasted until we popped out on SP 457 leading into Casale Monferrato. After one km, we turned on to Strada Vecchia Pozzo Sant’Evasio which was better, but still not great. A short diversion to a bike shop to pick up more chamois cream, then our route led us through the pedestrian centre.   It was busy with people our doing their Saturday shopping and socializing. Nice to see that this town is thriving, even if we didn’t particularly like riding through it.  

Over the bridge and onto SP 31 all the way to Vercelli.  The fun part of the ride was over; it was flat highway the rest of the way.

Crossing the Po. We will be taking Strada Vecchia Vercelli aka SP 31 all the way to Vercelli.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Po. This will be our only view of it for this tour.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I knew rice was grown in Italy but didn’t know until today we’d be riding through a rice-growing area. (We also rode past the YKK Italia zipper manufacturing facility, which I didn’t know existed, but didn’t stop for a photo.)
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were able to check in to our B&B early at 12:30 and soon headed out to find lunch.  Unlike Casale Monferrato, the centre of Vercelli was very quiet mid-day on a Saturday. Perhaps it was livelier in the morning. There were several bars open with people sitting at outdoor tables, but nobody was eating, just drinking. It was only just past one, so that seemed odd. We opted for the first place we saw serving actual food. It was called Camillo’s Bakery (yes, in English) and offered an “international” menu.  Al chose a burger (burgers in Europe are different than at home and, so far, have always been excellent) while I opted for a burrito. It was definitely different than at home but also very good.  

My Italian burrito.
Heart 3 Comment 0

After lunch, we hung out at the B&B until the outdoor temperature moderated. I was pleasantly surprised when I went out shortly after 6 to see the shops open and the streets alive.  After my outing to see the basilica, I returned to collect Al and we went to a pizzeria for dinner. It was a busy place!  We got back to the B&B just as the lightning and heavy rain began. Should be cooler tomorrow!

Basilica di Sant’Andrea “is the symbol of the town” according to the tourist literature. It was built between 1219 and 1227 and is currently undergoing some restoration. The wall behind the altar is covered and the altar is missing but the building is beautiful.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view. The opposite wall has round rather than tall windows.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Detail
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cloister outside
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the cloister. Something was happening on the other side; this woman was listening.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the basilica towers. The other freestanding tower was covered in scaffolding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Vercelli
Heart 1 Comment 0
This caught my eye. It’s on the wall of the old brick church in the background of the photo above. A cow with wings? It must mean something…
Heart 3 Comment 4
Keith AdamsLooks like it has a halo too. A sacred cow?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Keith AdamsYou said it, not me!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Jacquie GaudetOr perhaps a very well-camouflaged but or sculptural appreciation: "Holy cow!!!"
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Margie AndersonWell said everyone! M.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The commercial area near our B&B was lively in the early evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vercelli, European capital of rice
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our B&B is in this old palazzo, on the second floor.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,184 km (735 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0