German humour... - Riding the great divide - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2023

German humour...

LENZEN - German humour, it is said, is no laughing matter.

But that is humour in itself, isn't it? Germans like a good giggle as much as anyone else... as you'll see in a moment.

We're beginning to think that the woman who said we'd know immediately that we were in the old East didn't know what she was talking about. A lot has had time to change in three decades, I know, but she was speaking of now and not then. And, now, some of the most beautiful villages, the prettiest countryside, have been where she said they wouldn't.

Take Lenzen, for instance. It was prettiness itself as we rode in a little more tired than we'd have preferred.

Lenzen - our first moment
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Charming street statues tell the village's history. Like the woman permanently distributing bread, so far as we can make out.

Heart 4 Comment 0

And storks that sit on high and watch mere humans tied to the ground.

Heart 6 Comment 0

But best of all are episodes in Lenzen's history portrayed in a row of statuettes outside the hotel. I just wish I could tell you what those episodes were.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

And who, I ask you, wouldn't want to have his role in history portrayed like this...? His mother would have been so proud.

Heart 5 Comment 0

Now, who was it who said that German humour was nothing to laugh at?

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Graham SmithLéo I’m paying great attention to this journey because of my German heritage and long held wish to cycle tour in that area of Germany.

Admittedly my ancestors departed Germany before it was Germany and was still a loose coalition of warring states. Nevertheless I have enough German genes to make your journal extra interesting.

Happy pedalling.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Leo WoodlandTo Graham SmithThanks, Graham!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago