New Training Regimen - Finally riding my dream - CycleBlaze

New Training Regimen

A week of mountain biking in the Yukon

Al and I had a fantastic week mountain biking with Boréale Explorers. We opted for the "6 days of Yukon Riding" package which included meals and accommodation, along with a guide and land transportation. The latter was important because it would have been difficult to get around the Whitehorse/Carcross area without a vehicle. Though given the amounts of delicious food I ate, maybe I should have done more riding!

We flew Vancouver to Whitehorse (and return) with Air North. It was only $25 to check a bike! Whitehorse seems so far away, but it's only a two-hour flight from Vancouver. This was our first trip but it won't be our last.

What about the biking? See the maps below. Days 1, 3, 4, and 6 were in the Whitehorse area (first map); Day 2 we rode Montana Mountain near Carcross (second map), and Day 5 was a day off the bikes, paddling on the Yukon River. Boréale Ranch, where we stayed, is between Whitehorse and Carcross, so every day starts and ends with a ride in a van. Return trips from Whitehorse often detoured to a craft brewery, of which there are two in Whitehorse.

On our arrival day, we had a couple of hours to wander downtown Whitehorse (such as it is). This giant chunk of native copper is outside the MacBride Museum (which we didn't have time to visit that day).
Heart 0 Comment 0
This tree intrigued me with its old and new cones on the same twigs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On Day 1, we rode Mt McIntyre, contrary to the standard itinerary which has Grey Mountain for the first day. Itineraries are only guidelines, after all.

Fireweed meadow on Mt McIntyre with guide David.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On Day 2, we continued to ignore the standard itinerary. Another couple and their guide were going to Carcross so we joined them in the shuttle up the mountain.

From a Carcross tourist info web page: "Montana Mountain lies in the traditional territory of the Carcross/Tagish First Nation (CTFN), which assumed ownership of much of mountain through its 2006 land claim settlement. Since that time, CTFN has overseen the creation of 40 kilometers of multi-use trails through the Carcross Singletrack to Success Project. Plans for more trails and world-class adventure are in the works."

A really cool project. For more info, search "Carcross Teens Develop World-Class Mountain Bike Trail"

View from our high point on Montana Mountain. This is as far as we rode up the access road--just past the McDonald Creek trailhead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'll go with this spelling. Trailforks (online mountain bike map) has it as Macdonald.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After a long, fun, descent, we crossed a wetland area on a long boardwalk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That's me, with Bennett Lake in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Al and me in a lovely location
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was intrigued by this at our lunch stop. The needles seem to grow within a protective cover which then falls away as they spring out. I think.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wild lobelia??
Heart 0 Comment 0
We took a little break and walked across the White Pass and Yukon tracks to this beach on Bennett Lake. Ate some tasty wild raspberries too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The White Pass and Yukon Railway crosses this bridge into Carcross.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tourist area of Carcross, near the railway station, has been prettied up with timber plazas and small shop buildings. Many of the buildings (not this one, though) are on wheels. The train runs between Carcross and Skagway. It used to run all the way to Whitehorse but that part of the track has been abandoned.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On our third day of riding, we shuttled way up Mt McIntyre. Riding above treeline was a treat!

We still had to ride a bit further up the road. That's Steve, our guide, catching up after adjusting someone else's bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the road. Fish Lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The other Boréale group heading off in the other direction. We did a little out-and-back in the alpine to let them get well ahead. The other guests are much better riders (than me, anyway) so we would not be catching them. We saw nobody else all day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steve and Al contemplating the view from Blown Away (name of trail).
Heart 0 Comment 0
I had to get a photo of these low wild roses, conveniently placed so I could rest, I mean take a photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My bike, the trail, and the roses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Fish Lake from our lunch stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More wildflowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That's me on the trail down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reward at Yukon Brewing. The Birch Sap Ale was my favourite from this flight. I also like their tagline: "beer worth freezin' for".
Heart 0 Comment 0

Another day of riding!

Miles Canyon, seen from the road-accessible viewpoint. That trail opposite is the Rim Trail, rated "most difficult, and we certainly won't be riding it! The Yukon River Trail is further upstream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fireweed, official "floral emblem" of the Yukon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steve and Al at the top of Boogaloo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hula Girl trail actually has one, complete with tiny solar panel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical forest trail (easy section)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another typical view today
Heart 0 Comment 0
You guessed it! I'm intrigued again, this time by the needles sprouting from the cones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw lots of this pretty grass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The riding route eventually brought us to Long Lake. Swimmable?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes! I will say that Al was the only one who went in...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding along Hospital Ridge back to town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our rest day! We kayaked down the Yukon River which wasn't the fast-moving cold water we expected, judging from its colour and speed as seen from the boardwalk downtown. The current slowed down just north of town and the colour isn't glacial flour; it's from copper-bearing mineral silt (I think that's what I heard). No photos from the river. After we'd been picked up and returned to town, we had lunch and visited the SS Klondike National Historic Site. I'll make this a separate page (later)

Just behind the lodge, this hare actually ran toward us! This photo was taken with my phone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well-used bike rack at a very busy playground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I included this because I wasn't aware that summer temperatures could be in the high 20s (Celsius) in Whitehorse. This busy spray park is adjacent to the very busy playground,
Heart 0 Comment 0
Raven Steals the Sun by Philippe Leblond, mounted on top of a picnic shelter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yukon humour
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our last day of biking we rode the Yukon River Trail. It was fabulous! One of the trails we took to get there from where we were dropped off were challenging (for me), but the Yukon River Trail itself was not too technical.

One of the most difficult parts of riding the Yukon River Trail is concentrating on where you are going instead of looking at the scenery!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ditto! See that little blob in the centre of the frame?
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's a juvenile bald eagle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch spot. We had a fourth rider today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little information about Miles Canyon and the White Horse Rapids.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Miles Canyon. We didn't approach it on that trail!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the reproduction tramway cars. Note the wood "rails".
Heart 0 Comment 0

This was the perfect last full day for our first trip to the Yukon. It won't be our last!

PS:  On the day we flew out, we had some time at the lodge before we needed to get into the van for the trip to the airport.  Our bikes were packed so we used a couple of the rental bikes to explore a bit.  We rode to the end of Lewes Lake, which was "accidentally partially drained during construction of the White Pass & Yukon Route railway a century ago."

Al riding on the super-fine glacial silt that used to be under Lewes Lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0