Rejuvenation in Sisters - Vuelta a Iberia - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2019 to September 8, 2019

Rejuvenation in Sisters

This is a cycling blog, and we haven’t even started the tour yet; so I won’t dwell on our weekend at the Sisters Folk Festival.  Suffice it to say that it was a wonderfully refreshing experience that left us feeling heart-warmed and more optimistic and hopeful than when we arrived.  If it weren’t held at a time that we’re often wanting to start an autumn tour, I think we’d be here every year.

And the music was OK too.  As usual, the names were almost all completely new to us so we weren’t sure what to expect when we first reviewed the lineup.  And as usual we were surprised and delighted by one act after another, finding ourselves either falling in love with the charisma and energy of the more youthful performers or inspired and seduced by the stories and wisdom of their elders.

So we won’t forget, here are the twelve performances we attended:

  • Friday evening: Martyn Joseph, Rising Appalachia, the Hamiltones;
  • Saturday afternoon: Will Kimbrough, Ellis, Le Vent du Nord;
  • Saturday night: Cedric Burnside, the East Pointers, Bruce Cockburn;
  • Sunday afternoon: Johnsmith, Lindsay Lou, Kuinka.
Le Vent du Nord, from Quebec. We enjoyed all of the acts, but this group was our clear favorite.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nicholas Boulerice of Le Vent du Nord, cranking on the hurdy-gurdy.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jen RahnI've never seen someone playing the hurdy-gurdy. How cool!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnIt’s really a great act, watching him crank away and gyrate.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ellis Delaney
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cedric Burnside
Heart 1 Comment 0
Johnsmith with Don Sebranek
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lindsay Lou
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lindsay Lou with Josh Rilko
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kuinka, from Seattle. What an infectious group! It’s great that they’re local, so there’s a chance we might get to see them again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Miranda Zickler of Kuinka
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Andrea BrownHow was Bruce Cockburn?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnThese photos all make me want to go to the Sisters Folk Festival!

Awesome that you were able to include this side trip in your pre-Iberia plans.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownWe’ve never seen him perform before, and feel lucky for this opportunity. He put on a great show. He’s definitely getting on in years though, and walks to the stage with a cane now.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnWe’re so glad we flexed our schedule enough to fit this in. You should definitely make it down some year soon.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Scott AndersonHe's one of the best guitarists on the planet and an incredible songwriter, I've been a fan since 1980. I saw him in concert in Eugene 30 years or so ago at the Hult Center.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownLike Richard Thompson, he’s another legendary musician I wasn’t really aware of until seeing him at SFF. I was really surprised when Rachael pulled up one of his songs on our favorite playlists this morning.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago