In Valencia, day 3: Turia Park - Vuelta a Iberia - CycleBlaze

December 13, 2019

In Valencia, day 3: Turia Park

A short post, because this is just a photo gallery from our day off the bikes to take a 12 mile walking tour of Valencia.  Or, it’s a long post - lots of photos, but just short on words.  In fact, so long on photos that this is only half a post, for just the shots from the walk through Turia Gardens.  We’ll throw the ones from the city itself into a separate short/long/half post, shortly.

Turia Gardens, as mentioned earlier, is the long, sinuous ribbon park that follows the original course of the Turia River.  In aggregate it’s an enormous public green space - nine kilometers long, wide enough to contain large structures - two soccer fields, performing arts venues, giant play areas, forests, arboretums, and of course gardens.  It is the largest urban park in Spain.

It’s almost horrifying after seeing this incomparable space to learn that the original concept for the riverbed was to create a system of freeways through the center of the city.

We saw two of the seventeen bridges crossing the old courseway of the river yesterday, but they just keep coming. They’re nearly all great in their own way - you could really devote a small gallery for some of them highlighting their different features. This one is the Puente Del Mar (the Sea Bridge), a replacement for the wooden bridge that was destroyed by flooding in 1591.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Puente de la Trinidad (the Trinity Bridge) is the city’s oldest bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Puente de la Exposicion (The Exhibition Bridge) was designed by Santiago Calatrava, the world renowned And Valencia-born architect who designed the ethereal bridges in Bilbao and around.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Puente de Las Flores (the Bridge of Flowers), built in 2002. The flowers are replaced several times each year.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A side view of the Bridge of Flowers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the two giant gargoyles that guard the entrance of the Pont Del Regne, the Royal Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are many aspects to the huge Turia Gardens, but among other things it’s an impressive arboretum. This is the first time I’ve seen a whole grove of ceiba trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So strange. Giant bowling pins.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Gulliver Park, the fantastic giant play area inspired by Gulliver tied down by the Lilliputians.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Valencia Concert Hall. The fountains in front are designed to spout to the beat of the music played within the hall.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The performing arts center.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A dragon tooth row borders the performing arts center.
Heart 2 Comment 0
L’Umbracle, an enclosed sculpture garden and landscape park. I completely missed the sculptures somehow, and will have to go back.
Heart 6 Comment 0
L’Hemisfèric, designed by Calatrava, is a huge projection space (an IMAX theater in the shape of a huge human eye, the eye of wisdom.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A busy image. On the left is the edge of the science center. The purple, helmet-shaped structure (which we also saw biking to Albufera two days back) is L'Àgora, an event venue designed by Calatrava; and between is yet another Calatrava creation, the Assut de l'Or Bridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another perspective on Assut de l'Or Bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another perspective on L’ Hemisfèric. From this angle it suggests an enormous ladybug.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beneath Pont de Montolivet Bridge, curving around the snout of the performing arts center.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A sculpture in acrylic on aluminum by Arne Quinz, from his collection My Secret Garden.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another Arne Quinz work stands outside L’Umbracle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the long walkway alongside the City of Art and Science.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Jen RahnThis is really impressive. And beautiful!

Love those ceiba trees and the giant slide. Did you go down it?

Imagine how different the world would be if 10+ other large cities had the forethought to build a large park instead of a gnarling freeway system ...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnNo, of course I didn’t go down the slide. That’s a younger guy you’re thinking of with a back that’s not looking for an excuse to go out on him.

You’re right about the park. The city would be unimaginably different if this were a freeway instead. Just imagine East Portland with a broad, long park instead of the Banfield Freeway.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnOr the East Side Esplanade next to a long strip of green space, sculptures, and a Farmers Market instead of the roar of I-5 ..
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonAmazing architecture, stunning photos! So sorry your trip is drawing to a close. It's been a great ride for you and your readers alike I'd say. Good there's another one not too far in the offing.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonThanks for following along and giving us encouragement, Suzanne. It’s been a memorable three months alright. We’re ready to get back to our own language and culture for a spell, but we’ll both miss this place.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonAt least you will be able to get your evening meal at a normal hour!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago