In Ponferrada: a photo album - Vuelta a Iberia - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2019

In Ponferrada: a photo album

Ponferrada.  Just pics for now.  Maybe we’ll drop some narrative in here too, or maybe not.  You could also show a bit of initiative and do your own research, don’t you know?

Our hotel, and the gas man. This seems to be a theme here. We passed a square in Cacabelos yesterday that also had a bronze statue of a citizen watching over it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The clock tower, the arch of the eras, and Clock Street. This is the only surviving arch from the town’s medieval walls, and is the passageway through which walkers on the French Camino arrive.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ponferrada’s clock tower
Heart 1 Comment 0
The side entrance to the basilica, dedicated to the Virgin of Encina.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s recess, and children are scrambling in the basilica’s plaza.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Recess is over, and all the children have returned to school save for one holdout in hiding.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jen RahnLove this photo! I'll bet this guy keeps his parents and teachers on their toes.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnI was happy when I saw what the situation was. A minute later a man walked out of the school and in his direction with a wry grin on his face. Not the first time, I assume.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The bell tower of the Encina Basilica
Heart 2 Comment 0
Inside the basilica
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rachael chastised me when I closed one door of the entrance to the basilica, calling me a ‘bad tourist’.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The unmissable site in Ponferrada is the Templar Castle. And you really can’t miss it, because it’s immense.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Ron SuchanekThat looks like the castles I would see in picture books when I was a youngster.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekPicture books! What a quaint idea. Nowadays they call them tablets. When you’re bored looking at castles you can just swipe past them to your secret stash of lingerie ads.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The Templar Castle is a fascinating structure to wander through, admiring its crenellations walls and towers and the views in all directions across the town.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the Templar Castle
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Templar Castle
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Templar Castle
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the Templar Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Templar Castle
Heart 1 Comment 0
I think this what makes this Castle so special and unique - the colorful stonework.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Templar Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down from the Templar Castle at San Andres Church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
San Andres Church, and the mountains we’ll cross tomorrow on our way to Zamora.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bell tower, San Andres Church
Heart 1 Comment 0
The belfry, San Andres Church
Heart 1 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekI dont see any bats, so you should be ok.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The belfry, overshadowed by the clock tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
The clock tower, framed by the fortress
Heart 4 Comment 0
The building in the foreground is the Bierkzo Museum, a renaissance building that formerly housed the royal jail. I wish I’d have bothered to get a better photo of it, but the most impressive feature is the enormous wisteria covering its facade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I wonder how old this wisteria is - its trunk is huge. I especially like the wrought iron support that cradles it and looks like wisteria itself.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The roof of the museum? Now I’m not sure. I took it because I liked the tile and ridge lines.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0