Lisbon to Setubal - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

April 6, 2022

Lisbon to Setubal

All excited for our first day of riding...but then we slept in which didn't leave much time for packing and the sumptuous hotel breakfast.   Still we were ready at 10:30 for the last luxury of our fancy Lisbon hotel:  a driver in a sleek Mercedes to take us to the storage locker out to the suburbs where our bikes were  stored.   We had splurged on the Solar de Castelo, partly out of guilt as they had kept our parcel of bike parts that arrived the day after we left in November and partly just because we knew we would appreciate being a bit spoiled after the flight and the hectic pace at home before leaving.  In the end it was worth it and we will appreciate it all the more as we search out the  more affordable  accommodations to amortize the cost.

At Kuboo, after the kind receptionist helped us recover our security password to get in, we found our bikes were intact, rust-free and we somehow managed to put everything into the panniers.  Finally on the bikes at the crack of noon, we started with a long downhill on busy streets to the riverside, then once more on the bike path cruising past the Belem castle and the navigators' monument while we navigated around ever more people all the way to the Praca do Comercio and the main ferry terminal.  This is definitely more the tourist season than when we were here in November.

Hoping for a parting view of  the city from the river, we opted for a ferry to Barreiro, but passengers were not allowed on deck and the window seats all were taken, so we probably would have seen more from the train across the bridge.  Still it was a pleasant crossing and the train to Setubal must be coordinated with the ferry as it was right there and ready to go.   Although it seemed lazy to take the train, knowing that it was our first day on a bike in five months, the 15km ride was all our tender bottoms could handle.  

Setubal is a resort town whose old centre is a maze of pedestrian lanes lined  with restaurants, quaint shops and little hotels, including ours.   After check-in Steve dug out some of those bike parts and replaced our brake pads so we will be  ready (at least to stop) when we get to the hilly parts of the tour.   Still jet lagged and not used to European eating times we could barely wait until restaurants opened at 7pm to be the first customers at the charming Due Fratelli restaurant where we polished off plates of pasta with truffles and gorgonzola.  Content from a very satisfying first day, we slept soundly.

All our stuff
Heart 3 Comment 0
Managed to fit in the panniers
Heart 2 Comment 2
Kelly MaherAll set to go!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyHi Kel
Thanks for following along. Enjoying seeing pics of Kelsey’s and Kerry’s time with you. Looks like you are having a fab time. Thanks for the update via email.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Back at Belem Castle
Heart 3 Comment 0
The ferry to Barreiro - sleek but no passenger decks
Heart 0 Comment 0
Setubal
Heart 2 Comment 0
Setubal
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 16 km (10 miles)
Total: 16 km (10 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jacquie Gaudet“First day on a bike in 5 months…”. We too will have had 5 months without riding when we set off in Tuscany in May. Unlike you, though, we didn’t plan it that way. I enjoyed following your tour last fall and will enjoy this one too, I’m sure!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Jacquie GaudetHi Jacquie
It does sound like we are living parallel lives. No kids getting married but we are going home for two June university graduations. We sold our home of 25 years in 2020 after retiring and have our life in storage as well. Yes move out skis, move in bikes depending upon the season. We get our new home/condo May 1st. We will move in when we get back to Montreal June 2nd. Looking forward to following your trip too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen WearyHaha I can imagine the late dinners are hard to wait for, wow 7pm open!

And gorgonzola and truffle pasta.. a dream!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago