More Dirt Roads - 海口→海口 Around the Island - CycleBlaze

February 1, 2006

More Dirt Roads

         After the pain of the previous day's dirt road I had absolutely no intention of riding anything but the truck once the pavement stopped 18 kilometers past lunch. I may have gone as much as two or three kilometers past the end of the road but only because that was my very first opportunity to flag down the support and be supported.

         Not that it would have mattered that much anyways. Only a few short kilometers after that all of the road bikes ended up on the back of the truck with the majority of the riders crammed into back seats and one other long-legged person on the back of the photographer's motorcycle. It's times like this that make me glad I'm tall enough (for China at least) to earn the coveted front seat.

The first 18 kilometers...
Heart 0 Comment 0
This doesn't look too bad
Heart 0 Comment 0
Or this...
Heart 0 Comment 0
This, however...
Heart 0 Comment 0
What sadistic puppy had the bright idea of taking the trucks on this?
Heart 0 Comment 0
But it's so pretty...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering a village (in the next two years all those traditional mud walled thatch roof houses would be replaced with modern concrete)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The trucks were having trouble keeping up with the bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hai Ge changing a flat by the side of the ... by the side of the ... umm, can you call this a road?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Failing in the task of having found something useful to do we settled on watching other people do useful things.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And leaving again...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wheeee!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ah Zhi doesn't want to get his shoes wet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
but it was so worth it
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 308 km (191 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0