Cronulla to the Sydney Opera House: A new perspective on Sydney - House to House Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2011

Cronulla to the Sydney Opera House: A new perspective on Sydney

Day 7 Saturday 28 May House to House cycle-tour From Cronulla to the Sydney Opera House

Sydney by bike...the only way to arrive.

For more years than I care to remember I have arrived in Sydney either by car or by plane. Coming into Sydney by the motorway from Canberra or via the domestic airport has given me a particular impression of Sydney. An impression of Sydney as having next to no natural environment, and being a city of asphalt, concrete, buildings and transport infrastructure.

Well today, in a 41 km cycle ride from Cronulla to the Sydney Opera House, I was privileged to experience an entirely different aspect of Sydney and it was a much more favourable side of Australia's biggest city. Beach esplanades, mangrove wetlands, open bays, river fronts, clean streams and attractive inner city backstreets with twittering birdlife.

The ride was not a traffic plagued hassle as I anticipated. Indeed it was the opposite. It was mostly on easy gradient, well signed and pleasant bike paths with interesting views. The RTA cycling maps and the GPS were most helpful at keeping me on track. I could not have asked for a better conclusion to my Parliament House to the Sydney Opera House ride.

Along the way I had a couple of chats with recreational riders who also enthused about Sydney's bikeways, particularly the Cook River path.

Just as I was about to launch myself along the fantastic Bourke Street bike lane; onto College Street and then to Macquarie St for a pedal turning finale to the Opera House, I met a young couple on touring bikes who were obviously experienced bike travellers. I recalled seeing a story about them recently in The Canberra Times newspaper. Richard and Stani have been travelling the world by bike for some six years. Remarkable. We rode together to the Opera House. They were lovely company to finish my seven day ride with. It was also helpful for us all to be able to reciprocate as photographers for each other for the souvenir shots at the Opera House.

Now I needed to make arrangements to return home tonight or tomorrow as my anticipated lift back to Canberra was not available. I made the short ride from the Opera House to Sydney Central Station to make inquiries. There were a few options. CountryLink trains said they had a service tomorrow but would need the bike booked, boxed, pedals removed etc. and a requirement to be at the platform an hour ahead of departure. Murrays Coaches staff weren't sure if the bike could go on the 6:00 pm bus.

CityRail had a 5:30pm train departing for Goulburn (not too far from Canberra and I'd be able to arrange a lift or cycle from there). Even better with CityRail, I could walk-on to the train with the intact loaded bike, it was only $7.80 single ticket and bikes travel free. Hooray for CityRail.

I and the bike are on our way home by train. I am feeling in fine fettle and pleased that I've confirmed that a House-to-House tour on a fully loaded bike really is doable in 7 days by a middle-aged, out-of-practice cycle tourist.

The route I experienced does indeed provide an exciting, accessible, interesting and diverse sample of Australia.

The CatEye gadget for today says a total of 46 km; average 12 km/hr; 3hrs 48mins riding. Max.speed 50 km/hr. This included the ride from Cronulla to the Opera House as well as some riding in the Sydney CBD and to Central Railway Station.

Early morning Cronulla. Start of the final day of the House-to-House ride. From here the Sydney Opera House is about 40km.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tractor treatment for the popular Cronulla Beach. It's not a farmer driven to the edge which was my first thought.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back to Cronulla as I head north toward central Sydney
Heart 0 Comment 0
From Cronulla, I followed the bike-way to the Captain Cook Bridge across the Georges River
Heart 0 Comment 0
A section of the route between Cronulla and the Captain Cook bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of the route between Cronulla and the Captain Cook bridge...it's good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Recreational riders on the path between Cronulla and the Captain Cook bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wetland habitat next to the path from Cronulla to Captain Cook bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sydney City is getting closer with each turn of the pedals. A view from the Captain Cook bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bike path on the Sans Souci stretch has a beach feel to it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Excellent path along Botany Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across Botany Bay from the bike-way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sydney International airport is just across the water from this part of the route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sydney's inner city bike-ways have also been improved greatly over the past few years. Makes for surprisingly pleasant riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And yes...the big house at the northern end of the House-to-House bike ride; The Sydney Opera House is reached after 7 days and more than 400km of very enjoyable and interesting cycling from Parliament House in Canberra.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This time with the rider...At the Sydney Opera House having ridden from Parliament House in Canberra by backroads and bikeways.(thanks to the Cycling Pixies aka The Velomads) for taking this pic in exchange for a round of coffees)
Heart 0 Comment 0
CityRail carriage from Sydney to Goulburn with a hanging space for the bike. No dissembly, packing, booking or bike fee required. Excellent service. Homeward bound on the evening train from Central Station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These were the maps I used to find the bike-friendly route from Cronulla to the Opera House. The GPS was helpful but not essential for Sydney city navigation because I had these maps. There is a page about maps and resources for the House-to-House ride later in this journal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 424 km (263 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0