From Central Wollongong to Cronulla via Bundeena: A perfect day - House to House Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2011

From Central Wollongong to Cronulla via Bundeena: A perfect day

Day 6 Friday 27 May House to House cycle-tour From Central Wollongong to Cronulla via Bundeena

Today was my version of an excellent day of cycle touring. Weather conditions were perfect, the 18 km exit route north from Wollongong City to Thirroul was a zero-car, mostly easy gradient path with constantly changing views of beaches, the ocean, headlands, parks, small towns and the dramatic Illawarra escarpment. There were cafes at just the right locations. Even from the end of the official path, the ride had more paths and relatively little, slow and courteous traffic right through to Bundeena. And there was ample scenic variety.

The ride from Bald Hill lookout (the Lawrence Hargrave memorial) through the Royal National Park to Bundeena is one I would classify as a 'must do' for any cycle tourist. I found it an exhilarating ride.

From Bundeena, there is an hourly ferry service across the bay. For about $7, it delivered me and the bike to Cronulla wharf from where I rode 1.5 km to the Cronulla Beach YHA hostel well ready for a rest. There was also an option to camp near Bundeena at national park campground.

The main challenge for the day was the ascent from Stanwell Park to Bald Hill. It is steep but the view at the top on a day like today is truly spectacular and was completed with paragliders decorating the sky.

A highlight of today was riding the 665 metre, $49 million Sea Cliff bridge which curves out from the land over the sea. It is a neat feat of engineering.

The CatEye gadget says a total of 68 km; average 13.3 km/hr; 5 hrs 7 mins riding. Max.speed 55 km/hr.

Tomorrow my aim is to conclude this ride at the Sydney Opera House steps. It is tempting to train it from Sydney's seaside outer suburb where I am now. Cronulla is a terminus for one of the Sydney metro lines so it would be easy to jump aboard and head in. However, the interests of travelling all the land route from Australia's Parliament House steps to the Sydney Opera House steps by loaded bicycle, I will cycle in using the RTA maps of Sydney cycleways.

Sunrise and sea baths: looking north as I leave Wollongong on the bike-path
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the Illawarra escarpment: Wollongong's backdrop scenery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wollongong Science Centre and Planetarium at Fairy Meadow, a few kilometres north of the city centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking south back to Wollongong
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salt marshes and the Illawarra escarpment north of Wollongong
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bike-way passes through salt marsh forest north of Wollongong
Heart 0 Comment 0
The coastline north of Wollongong looking towards Bulli
Heart 0 Comment 0
A reflective wetland bird
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bulli campground and its adjacent cemetery: a quiet neighbourhood
Heart 0 Comment 0
North of Wollongong. One of many seaviews from the bike-path
Heart 0 Comment 0
North of Wollongong. Beaches and seaside towns linked by a bike-way
Heart 0 Comment 0
From Thirroul the escarpment is closer and the route begins to undulate
Heart 0 Comment 0
The northern end of the bike-path at Thirroul which leads all the way south to Kiama. A treasure of a ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From the end of the path at Thirroul, there is still a reasonable off-road route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Long-term resting place with a view to die for. North of Thirroul.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road here used to have regular landslip problems. A fall this big would challenge the average bike helmet, and even a Thorn Sherpa touring bike with the personality of small truck would have to detour. What was the solution? It cost $49 million, it is 665 metres long and was finished in 2006...
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Sea Cliff Bridge with a bike-lane
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking north from the Sea Cliff Bridge toward the Royal National Park which is where I'll be by early afternoon
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's a short, sharp climb from Stanwell Park to Bald Hill. There is no bike lane but the traffic is light, slow and considerate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from Bald Hill (Stanwell Tops) near the Lawrence Hargrave memorial is exceptional. Lawrence Hargrave was a pioneering Australian aeronautical researcher who did much of his work in this area.
Astute readers will be aware that there is an historical link between bicycle manufacture and flying machines.
I am quietly proud of this photo which brings the silent partnership of cycling and flight into the frame.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And that would be the Sea Cliff Bridge from where I have just ridden. This view is looking south from Bald Hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stanwell Tops is a mecca for para-gliders and hang-gliders.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Royal National Park palms near Otford
Heart 0 Comment 0
Deep in the Royal National Park...cool, clear streams and thick vegetation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brilliant banksia flower in the Royal National Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Strap leaf plant foliage in the Royal National Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside cascades in the Royal National Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
From deep in the Royal National Park, the Sydney central city skyline can be seen in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the northern end of the Royal National Park I've reached the small town of Bundeena on Port Hacking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This ferry service will take the bike and me across the bay to the southern Sydney suburb of Cronulla. It's a short trip, costing about $7 with the bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arriving at Cronulla and the end of the day by ferry from Bundeena. From here, the ride will be to the Sydney Opera House tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0


Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 378 km (235 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0