Montreal: An off topic but short vignette - Grampies Go Hawaiian Winter 2014 - CycleBlaze

November 11, 2014

Montreal: An off topic but short vignette

We already mentioned that although we went to the airport in Seattle we perversely took a plane east (to Montreal) and not west (to Hawaii). So here we are in Montreal, gearing up actually at this moment to claw our way back to Seattle. This is not the first time we have been sucked over to Montreal, by the gravitational pull of what now is three grandchildren: Amelia, Evelyn, and Joseph. In the past this has meant that blog readers got the benefit (or trial) of reading about seven or more days of bagels, smoked meat, bike paths, and other Montreal features.

This time, I figured to avoid sayinig much about Montreal, but here after all is a page with just a few things. In it, grandkids make a brief appearance, as do one restaurant, one bagel bakery, one bike path, plus an all new cameo appearance from an albino squirrel. It should be interesting, have a look:

A pretty standard play ground scene, but what is remarkable is the evidence of how warmly Dodie and Evee are bundled up. Temperatures in Montreal touched zero (C), while in Seattle it is still light jacket weather and in Hawaii it is shorts and tee shirt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evee and Amelia are wearing dirndls that we found for them in Passau, Germany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mont Royal street in Montreal. The camera is aimed a little high, to avoid catching the clutter of cars that seems to intrude on city scenes worldwide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is at restaurant called Engauffrez-Vous. Gauffre is French for waffle, so this could be translated something like "Waffle-Up". However, at this place waffles are kind of just what surrounds the selection of roasted vegetables, cous-cous, elaborate fruits, compotes, home made choclate sauce, and eggs cooked many ways.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joseph samples apricot/clementine compote and cous cous at Engauffrez-Vous. This is dirrent from his more usual diet of canned organic baby food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From home to restaurants, Montreal offers bike path all the way. Here, along the Rachel Street route is the famous headquarters of Velo Quebec. Stopping in here, in Quebec, is the equivalent of the mandatory stop at Adventure Cycling for anyone passing through Missoula, Montana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The large park opposite Velo Quebec features many squirrels, mostly fat and grey. However, this one must be a descendant of "Major", a famous all white one that lived here until a few years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This branch of the St Viateur Bagel Bakery makes the best bagels anywhere in the world, using of course a wood fired oven.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chambord Street is typical of the area where we are staying, Of course, there is nothing here like the Chambord Castle, that we visited in France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0