Day 2: Tumalo to Sisters - 40 miles (give or take) - The Grumbys’ (Ron and Jen) Pre-tour Shakedown Ride - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2017

Day 2: Tumalo to Sisters - 40 miles (give or take)

Roadside treasures and new compadres

After our delicious breakfast of oatmeal and coffee, we said goodbye to Brian, packed up and headed towards Sisters. The traffic was heavy, but while climbing a long hill with delusional, angry drivers wizzing by I saw a red object in the ditch. I stopped to get a closer look and it turned out to be a Hydroflask. If you aren't familiar, they make awesome insulated water bottles, and aren't inexpensive. Score!

Kids wrote this at Tumalo. But I like it too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jen at the River the evening we arrived at Tumalo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith is a retired coal miner from Pennsylvania. He hiked the Appalachian Trail last year and then embarked on his Transamerica trip May 2 of 2017, covering about 4100 miles thus far in about 2 1/2 months.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Keith and Jim started the TransAm a day apart, but have ridden together since the met on the second day. Both of these guys were inspirational and great company for the evening. We peppered them with questions and they provided a lot of useful info for our upcoming adventure. They also laughed at the sheer volume of unnecessary crap we took.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Jeff ArnimSmall world. Kristen and I met these guys in Eastern Kentucky this summer, when we were on the TransAm. Good dudes!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Jeff ArnimYeah they were great people. Thanks for reading.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Me with Jim and Holly, who had ridden with the guys for awhile. They hadn't seen each other for a few weeks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jen and Holly
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Hubba Hubba at the Sisters Creekside park campground. I highly recommend this place, especially as a cyclist. It has showers, camp hosts and is right in town, so restaurants, groceries and anything else you might need is a quick walk or ride away.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 52 miles (84 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0