September 12: Kamenice to Sedlčany - Praha to Wien Greenway Tour (Tour 19) - 2019 🇨🇿 🇦🇹 - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2019

September 12: Kamenice to Sedlčany

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Hotel: Penzion Bowling Sedlčany, 55,20

Mosquitoes at home are bad enough in the early summer and they are generally gone by July and then we can enjoy the outdoors without those pests. Things are not the same in Bohemia.  Last night before the 5:30 pm bed time we left the windows open to get some fresh air. Bad mistake - every few minutes we could hear buzzing around our heads but could never find the darned things to get rid of them. I kept waking up to that sound until 2 am when the mosquito must have gone to bed.

So yes, when 6:30 am came along, I was kind of tired to get up. Breakfast consisted of cereals, breads, meats, cheeses, yogourt, and amazing Saeco cappuccino. We needed a few of those before zipping up to the room to get ready to hit the road.

With the bags quickly packed and onto the bikes, I took them down on the lift, handed in the keys to our hostess, then rolled back down the same long hill that we had climbed at the end of yesterday's ride. I mistakenly thought we were on today's route, but no.

Our route was a small dirt singletrack path through the muck that was not quite wide enough for our bikes. I was a little concerned when a few of the spots were wet clay and I had visions of our front wheel slipping sideways and causing us to crash down. We did not crash and within a couple hundred metres we were back onto paved roads.

The morning was cool, but perfectly clear and in the valleys we rolled through, there was mist drifting through the trees. In a few spots there were streams and ponds beside our route but it was absolutely beautiful. I could not believe our luck. Generally, we rolled downhill. Until we started uphill. Some of the climbs were long and steep but as with yesterday, with a low gear of 22 x 36 we were both able to spin our way up every climb.

Shortly after 11 am we had gone about 30 km so we decided to stop for some kind of pastry and cappuccino. Both were declicious and hit the spot. We knew that the next 16 to 20 km included a number of serious climbs followed by what looked like generally downhill into Sedlčany.

Where yesterday we picked a few apples as a snack, today's menu included fresh ripe plums (the crimson ones). I have never been a huge fan of plums, but I did try one. MA said they were the best plums she as ever eaten. Stolen goodies taste better, I guess!

The last five to six km I was getting weary again. Thankfully we soon rolled into town so I set the gps for our hotel, the route taking us through the small but pretty town square. Sedlčany is certainly no tourist mecca, but it certainly is an attractive town in points and I think it is far enough from Prague that it is a viable city rather than relying on the capital for everything.

The gps route was a bit circuitous but we finally arrived to the gates of the pension. The locked gates to the pension. The locked gate with a buzzer that nobody answered. I ended up crossing the street to ask a woman in an office if she could help us. Shortly thereafter another woman came out to do the same. Shortly thereafter a white-haired woman came out to open the gate and ushered us in and our bikes into her locked garage. They are safe for the night.

Though the woman spoke no English, her grand-daughter came over to help, and we were able to check in, pay, and organize our breakfast for the stay. The woman ended up being an absolute sweetie and was so proud to tell us that another pair of cycling Canadians had been here this past weekend and now here we were this same week.

Once we had cleaned ourselves up we walked the 200 m to the town square to Restaurace Florian on the recommendation of our hosts. We both ordered the pork with horseradish in mustard sauce with a side of fresh-cut fries. The meal was delicious. I cannot imagine anything this good in a restaurant back home. Highly recommended.

The next bit was just poking around the square, picking up a few snacks for the road tomorrow, for dessert tonight, then returning to the pension. There are thoughts of going to a pub on the next street over a little later, but not sure. Tomorrow is to be a day of about 45 km again, but with a long climb right from the start up to about 600 m. The bright side is that following the climb is mostly downhill to Tábor where a nice-looking hotel awaits.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 106 km (66 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0