May 17, 2019 - A Rose by Any Other Name - Praha to Wien Greenway Tour (Tour 19) - 2019 🇨🇿 🇦🇹 - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2019

May 17, 2019 - A Rose by Any Other Name

WHEN I write a trip journal, I do it for two reasons. First, it serves as a memoir that I can use to re-visit my tours once the memories start to fade. Second, I write to family back home. They have always encouraged me to head out and explore the world.

Before one particular tour, my longest and most ambitious ride, I was at my grandmother's house to see her before I headed out. The gnawing fears I get were part of our discussion. My 84-year-old Grandma Rose told me, without any hesitation, to go for it and enjoy the adventure. And I did.

Grandma Rose happiest in her favourite colour - blue at her 85th birthday celebration in 2004.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This brings me to this week in 2019. Two days ago Grandma Rose, matriarch of the Irvine family died just three weeks short of her 100th birthday.

A very young Rose Burdeyney with a long and adventurous life ahead of her, taken in the late 1930s.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Olive ‘Rose’ Irvine (nee Burdeyney)

June 7, 1919 to May 16, 2019

Mom. Grandma. Granny. Rose was born just outside of Cobalt, Ontario, in the village of Silver Centre to Alexander Burdeyney from Kiev, Ukraine, and Olive Allen from the Ottawa Valley. This was in a time just after World War I, a different generation, a different era. Canada’s north was just opening up and her family moved north in search of work ending up in Iroquois Falls, where her father worked in the steam plant of the paper mill. During WW2 her father was temporarily suspended from the mill due to his ‘foreign accent’ so he resorted to producing moonshine somewhere along the Dam (Berlinghoff) Road, until he was re-instated in the mill returning to his work in the coal-fed steam plant.

As Rose grew up in northern Ontario in the 1920s and 1930s, it meant bringing the cow to the meadow on the way to school, working the counter at Mr. Styles’ grocery store on Main Street, and falling in love with Auley Irvine who she would marry in 1941 as yet another World War raged in Europe. As with many women during the War, Rose was left at home to raise her newborn son as Auley went overseas to Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Letters were sent; letters were received, but to prevent the other side from knowing troop movements, Rose often wondered with dread, if Auley was alright.

With Auley back from the War, they had five more children who they raised in the Synagogue Street home. Rose would eventually take on the Jus Jordan Arena cafeteria, where she looked after the community, serving drinks, treats and words of wisdom to generations who came up to her counter. Her sense of duty to the community continued through her help and guidance for the Moose Lodge, the United Church and the Royal Canadian Legion Ladies’ Auxiliary and most of all, being there for her children and their spouses, her grandchildren then each and every great-grandchild.

Always selfless, she would be seen quick-stepping to and from the grocery store on her own to get ingredients for the church lunch or Legion reception, or during a family gathering, head downstairs by herself to bring up an extra chair for one more person to gather round the table. Because she didn't want to disturb anyone by asking for help.

Grandma Rose, this tour is dedicated to you!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0