Leonidio to Nafplio - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2009

Leonidio to Nafplio

The first half of the day's ride was great - a rolling ride along the Arcadian coast, with the usual brilliant scenery and little traffic to distract us from it. About half way to day's end at Nafplio though, we merged in with the main highway coming in from Tripoli to the west; and the remainder of the ride was busier than we'd have liked, forcing us to watch the traffic as much as the landscape.

All our traffic frustration fell aside though when we reached central Nafplio. Nafplio is beautiful, and proved to be our favorite town in the Peleponnese. It has a terrific setting at the head of the Saronic Gulf, watched over by the Palamidi, an impressive Venetian fortress from the 1600's. Its old town is gorgeous, with its array of floral lanes and colorful staircases.

Our favorite hotel of the tour, the Amfitriti, was well up the hillside along one of these staircases, and we labored more than a bit with our bikes and luggage in reaching it. It was well worth the effort though, and we luxuriated in our two night stay there, enjoying a pair of great breakfasts and lounging around on its rooftop salon overlooking the world below and above.

The Arcadian coastline, north of Leonidio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Arcadian coastline.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Syntagma Square, Nafplio. To us, this is the prettiest town in the Peleponnese. We stayed here two nights and would have enjoyed yet another.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nafplio, our favorite town in the Peleponnese.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nafplio. The town has a seemingly endless collection of colorful streets and alleyways.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nafplio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sidewalk restaurant, Nafplio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Nafplio taverna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nafplio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amphitriti Hotel, our lodging in Nafplio. This was one of our favorite accommodations in Greece, other than for lugging our bikes and luggage up these steps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bikes at our hotel, Nafplio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Akronafplia, the town's ancient acropolis, rose to the south above our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nafplio, from the rooftop of our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our breakfast salon in Nafplio - as colorful as everywhere else in this town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Descending from our hotel in Nafplio. Much easier than the climb in the other direction, carrying loaded bicycles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Palimidi fortress, from below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nafplio from the Palamidi, the Venetian fortress overlooking the town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Palamidi from below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nafplio from the Palamidi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lookout tower, Palamidi fortress.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view to the south from the Palamidi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Turkish Bourzi, off the coast from Nafplio in the Argolic Gulf.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Akronafplio, the ancient acropolis, in the foreground; Nafplio's old town below; and the Bourzi in the bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 760 miles (1,223 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0