Sparta to Leonidio - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2009

Sparta to Leonidio

The ride from Sparta east to the coast was one of the most challenging of the trip, but also one of the best. It began simply enough with a twenty mile cruise southeast along the river valley, but then rose steeply as we cycled east toward Kosmas Pass. In ten miles we gained 3000 feet, broken up by a refreshment break in Geraki about half way to the summit. Looking back to the west, the views were beautiful across the orange groves in the valley and Mount Taigetos towering above them.

The climb would have been significant enough without fighting a fierce headwind that left us feeling like we were literally crawling up the pass, counting our progress in utility poles instead of miles. At one point we were diverted by a flock of goats and their drover angling across the road. It was distressing to see that we weren't really moving much faster than they were.

At long last we reached the summit and enjoyed a well earned break loafing around in the little village there. After recuperating, we headed down the east side, plummeting down the precipitous Dhafnon Gorge. This was a completely exhilarating coast through gorgeous terrain, made even more spectacular by the brilliant displays of broom lining the roadside.

Partway down, we paused for a bit to walk up to Elonis Monastery, another whitewashed cliffhanging marvel. A half-hour later after scrambling up the slopes though it was no closer, and we'd clearly taken a wrong turn somewhere. So, we gave up on the idea, backtracked to our bikes, and about 50 yards later found it staring at us right around the next bend.

We dropped through Leonidio, the town at the base of the pass, and continued on to the sea where we stayed the night in the tiny beach resort of Plaka - once again one of the only guests at our hotel, and dining on a fresh fish feast overlooking the sea.

The Taigetos Range, looming above Sparta.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last look at the Taigetos Range, to show off the orange groves in the valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goats in the road, on the ascent of Kosmas Pass. The photo doesn't show that we're fighting a 20 mph headwind as we climb, and are barely able to keep up with these guys.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goats and their minders, Kosmas Pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a breather from the wind and climb, at Geraki.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Giving it a rest at Kosmas. Sparta is to the left and Leonidio to the right, as the sign clearly states.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Kosmas supermarket, graced with wisteria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selling produce on the square, Kosmas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The descent of Kosmas follows Dhafnon Gorge to the sea. This was a beautiful ride, shooting down rapidly through a channel of colorful cliffs and Scotch broom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The descent from Kosmas Pass went much faster than the way up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachael, Scotch broom and Dhafnon Gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dhafnon Gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Varnished rock, Dhafnon Gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elonis Monastery, clinging to the cliffs of Dhafnon Gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leonidio, surrounded by cliffs at the base of Dhafnon Gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the beach below Leonidio, from our shoreside restaurant. The bright blue building in the background was our hotel for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 706 miles (1,136 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0