Athens, and home - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2009

Athens, and home

So, we come to the end of the line. We caught the ferry back to Piraeus, took the train into Athens, and engaged in a whirlwind tour of its major sights before packing up for the flight home. We were very lucky in our stay in Athens - we had great weather, and remarkably clear skies that let us enjoy grand views over the city from the Acropolis and other high points.

The flight home was straight-forward. The big surprise for us though was the added fee for the bicycles - they went up over $150/bike while we were in Greece. At $250 apiece each way, the bike costs start being a significant add on to the trip; and so on our way back we resolved to check out folding bicycles before our next overseas tour.

To recap then: after cycle touring together for nearly 20 years now, we both thought that this was the best trip ever. It was probably our most balanced trip also, with 18 days spent cycling, 8 hiking and 3 in sea kayaks. We did our share in the saddle though - in about 1000 miles of cycling with about 80,000 feet of climbing, we had some of the best rides we've enjoyed anywhere; saw an incomporable set of historical, architectural and natural wonders; and attained a great balance, for us, of cycling with other outdoor activities. We can't wait to do this again.

Athens, on a rare clear day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Temple of Zeus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Parthenon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Acropolis and ancient agora.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The temple of Hephaestus, Athens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The theater of Dionysus, Athens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Changing of the guard at the parliament building: the new shift arrives.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Changing of the guard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacaranda blossom drop, the National Gardens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last appealing bike shot, Athens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
David FritschGreat journal with spectacular photos. We’re scheduled to join a tandem cycle tour of the Pelonoponnese May 2022 if COVID allows. Looks like we’ll have to work on our climbing skills in advance.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo David FritschThanks, David. We loved this tour and really hope we can get back to the Peloponnese again some year. May should be a wonderful time to be there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago