Day 70 Bayfield to Ashland, Wisconsin: Hello again, Highway 2 - Grampies on the Go Summer 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2011

Day 70 Bayfield to Ashland, Wisconsin: Hello again, Highway 2

Simon and Allison, shared a camp spot with us
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Bayfield
Heart 0 Comment 0

With Bayfield we finally struck the level of 'quaint' we had been looking for as we circled the peninsula. Bayfield is quaint, it is Uber Quaint. There are beautiful houses, boats, restaurants and shops, a big stone library, art galleries, etc. All is set in an environment of some level and some hills, that allows for the optimal placement of all the parts.

We had planned it so we could go to the farmers' market, which we did. There were only five vendors, but two had strawberries!

Bayfield farmers' market
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bayfield strawberries
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roses near the farmers' market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bayfield has a bike repair shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
...that looks pretty fully equipped
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that we toddled over to the Egg Toss for breakfast. It was very crowded and we shared a table with a young couple. The prices were 20-30% higher than usual, but the quality was 10-20% higher, so overall it was ok.

The Egg Toss in Bayfield
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's a Lake, with Fish!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some houses in Bayfield
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mike, offered us his house for two days!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another nice house in Bayfield
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gourmet Garage, outside Bayfield
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had talked about making it a rest day in Bayfield, but found that we were now eager to get going. So we got going and headed for Washburn. On the way we ran into a bakery and scored a zucchini loaf. The quality of bakeries has been steadily improving as we get further East.

Pies in progress at the "Garage"
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did not form much impression of Washburn as we only stopped for a short time. Still, we met a number of people, answered UQs, and handed out our card. We like doing this to boost our hit count, which we are tracking daily.

Bucking a headwind we made our way back down to our favourite, highway 2. Level, with a wide shoulder. Mmmmmm.

A view of Washburn
Heart 0 Comment 0
A barn on the way to Ashland
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Washburn building
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rejoin Highway 2
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before long we were in the outskirts of Ashland and followed the sign to Prentice Park. There we found a nice campground, but also a giant covered gazebo.

We went into town to find a restaurant. Someone recommended the Deepwater Grill and it turned out to be a great call. Our entrees featured 'real' and well prepared and seasoned chicken and beef, properly cooked vegetables, real mashed potatoes, etc. It was actually the best food we had found in the two months, and an easy match for anything we know about in Victoria.

In the next booth was Will, Stacey, and their son Mason. Will, we learned, had hiked the Appalachian Trail and Stacey was from the Canadian side of Sault St Marie. They said 'We know you don't know us from Adam, but would you like to stop at our place in Ironwood?'

Back at the Park we waited till almost dark and set up under the shelter. The gazebo also has power, and the netbook on which I am writing this is happy as anything.

Also nearby are three artesian wells, and the park man extolled the quality of the water. This is stuff you would pay big bucks for in a bottle.

Our plan is for a 9 o'clock bedtime and 4 a.m. wake up. This way we hope to beat the heat. In our gazebo we are immune from any thunderstorms, so all is well with the expedition tonight.

Ashland
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many murals in Ashland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Deepwater Grille
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes cool their (w)heels outside the Deepwater Grille
Heart 0 Comment 0
Will, Stacey, and Mason - invited us to their place in Ironwood for a shower or a rest. The presence of such good people all across the Continent is an excellent antidote for reading the daily news.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 4,088 km (2,539 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0