Day 54 Glenboro to Winnipeg, Manitoba: Winnipeg! (Montreal couldn't be much further - or could it?) - Grampies on the Go Summer 2011 - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2011

Day 54 Glenboro to Winnipeg, Manitoba: Winnipeg! (Montreal couldn't be much further - or could it?)

We got a sunny day today, and better, only a mild cross wind. This instantly changed our outlook. Maybe because of this or maybe in truth the landscape changed from boring to lovely, green and fresh. It did seem that many more fields had been seeded and germinated, so green and fresh was truly the order of the day.

The green and fresh landscape
Heart 0 Comment 0
The famous Manitoba black earth. In Saskatchewan it was still just normal brown.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Things here were seeded and germinated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More green and fresh.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All green (and fresh).
Heart 0 Comment 0

With Dodie's shoulder pretty much non functional, we had set our goal for the day as reaching St. Claude, a distance of 72 km. However, after doing about 50 km with no headwind fairly quickly, we saw a sign that said Winnipeg 117 km. "Hey", we said, "We could do that!".

So to jump ahead of the story for a moment, we did do it. That is, a U.S. Century, a total of 174km, which is 107 miles!

Century!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here is what we saw in our 174 km, pretty much in order from Glenboro to Winnipeg:

The paradoxical camel of Glenboro. Ostensibly it commemorates a desert area nearby, but since the area has no camels it's a bit strange.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A windmill at the town of Holland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yeah! Winnipeg appears on a road sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sign says they are spending millions on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So here they broke their hearts and gave us a 12 inch shoulder for 17 km. We'll take it though. Wheee! Sometimes you can ride the left side of it, sometimes the right, and if you get bored - right down the centre. Just not quite enough room for my hot tub, though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This wide load is big as a house!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These bikes stop at all bakeries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But many bakeries are not too inspired.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gotta find these pickles when we get to Winnipeg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good indication that we are on the prairies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We expect to see a lot more tourtiere when we hit Quebec.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie fearlessly confronts another rail crossing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Boyne River runs through Treherne and has interesting trails. But it was not enough to keep us from bashing onward.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A nice house in Treherne
Heart 0 Comment 0
The money runs out and our shoulder is gone!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mayor Norm Carter of St. Claude, Manitoba. (Joni - note the t-shirt). We seem to attract mayors off the street. We talked about the ralaxing nature of small town life, the flooding and seeding situation in surrounding areas, the condition of the road, and the encouraging fact that Norm - an anglophone - was elected in mostly French speaking St. Claude. Norm then invited us to city hall where we received two city pins and got to see the gardens, of which they are very proud.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Claude grocery and town hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A St. Claude park
Heart 0 Comment 0
This pipe is the symbol of St. Claude. Town founders came from a pipe making hot spot in France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More park in St. Claude
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cows resting under trees. Restful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This rare for the prairies smaller tractor is more my size and is for sale!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many horses
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh, oh
Heart 0 Comment 0
She's going for it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Manitiba is actually flatter than Saskatchewan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Starbuck is close to Winnipeg but lacks even the services of farther out small towns. Maybe it's the very proximity that is the problem. This "hotel" is really only a bar only now and is more run down than it looks here. We had thought of stopping at Starbuck, but we are focussed on making Winnipeg now, no matter what.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cycle on into the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Winnipeg welcomes us by night.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The much maligned GPS took us across the perimeter highway and through the still busy streets of South Winnipeg. Even at 11:30 at night we found people playing soccer, riding bikes, and waiting for busses. Weird. In our cycling and rural world, everything including us closes down by 8 p.m.

We would have to check a street map to understand the true logic of the route the GPS took to Mark's house. Sure enough, though, it dipsy doodled around and dropped us right on his head. Mark is moving tonmorrow and everything is in boxes. Not in boxes, though, was his king sized bed. Mark generously gave us Ibuprofen and ice packs and dropped us into this most wonderful of landing spots. Tomorrow will be playtime in the urban environment that is now so foreign to us. This includes moving day. Like cats, we like moving chaos. Also a trip to MEC and bike shops. Wheee!

Today's ride: 174 km (108 miles)
Total: 3,224 km (2,002 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0