Day 140 Port Angeles, Washington to Cobble Hill, BC: We Made It! - Grampies on the Go Summer 2011 - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2011

Day 140 Port Angeles, Washington to Cobble Hill, BC: We Made It!

We walked into the town after midnight and spotted several motels with vacancies. But hey, who is going to pay for a motel room for just a few hours? (Don't answer that!) At the terminal building we found some wide benches around back. So that was our last camping spot on this long journey.

Our final camp spot. Note that even homeless people can have a MEC sleeping pad on their bench.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The night was cool but not cold, and with no rain we were quite happy on our bench.

A ship lies in the harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have the terminal to ourselves. The huge boat is tied up and quietly waiting for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie packs up our bench camp in the early light
Heart 0 Comment 0

By 6:30 staff began to arrive and by 7:00 they opened the doors to the waiting room. We brushed our teeth, ate our yogurt, and all was well.

By the way, here is a map for the bike trail we followed. We found it in a "maps" box on the trail, but only at the end. There is a companion map for the next county to the east. Both would have been very helpful to have had in advance. Fortunately, we had Bill Abbey, which actually was better!

We found this map too late to use. For cycling this region (Jefferson and Clallam Counties) check www.ptbikes.org Note that the quaint covered bridge on the cover is at the bottom of the "black hole" from yesterday's blog. It all depends on your point of view (and the time of day (or night)).
Heart 0 Comment 0

The terminal quickly filled with people, so now e have to share it.

Now we have more company. Soon we will barely be able to find a seat on "our" boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are outta here!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bikes have a place of honour on the bow of the Coho
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Coho is a smaller boat than a typical BC Ferry, and it wallowed a bit on the way over. Still, it was a smooth and quick ride, and we soon were approaching the familiar sights of the Capital.

The iconic blue bridge. Unfortunately it is slated to be replaced
Heart 0 Comment 0
One view of Victoria
Heart 0 Comment 0
Victoria
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks Coho!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Slowly cruising the bikes through downtown, we appreciated again the things that make us at home here: A gentle sun with non-sticky warmth, flowers everywhere, sedate traffic and reasonably polite drivers, the smell of the ocean, the views of the Olympic mountains.

The flowers and soft sun of Victoria!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The famous Empress Hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Victoria is a floral city
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elegant buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Victoria
Heart 0 Comment 0
Killer Whale watching is fun and interesting
Heart 0 Comment 0

We headed out along Dallas Road, with a special destination now that our tour was almost over.

We headed out along the water by Dallas Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are duck ponds along here
Heart 0 Comment 0
An off note. The adjacent road has only one lane. If the cyclists take that lane the speed limit automatically becomes about 15 kph. Is that really what the City wants?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We pass the Mile Zero marker, famous in coast to coast trips.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Behind Mile Zero is the Terry Fox memorial.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Coho is seen heading for home in Port Angeles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houses along Dallas Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our destination was the bench set up by the family in memory of Hilda and Walter, Dodie's parents. This older lady was there, taking advantage of the rest spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The inscription on the bench
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie has scattered Hilda and Walter's ashes in places they would like throughout our trip. Now she scatters some back at their bench.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the bench
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilda and Walter's former house, nearby
Heart 0 Comment 0

We returned to the Blue Bridge and began our cycle along the Galloping Goose trail. This would take us to the Lochside Trail, from which we could hop to the Mill Bay ferry, cross the Finlayson Arm, and cycle the 15 last km to home.

A cafe near the beginning of the Galloping Goose bike trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cafe along the Goose near the Blue Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canada's most costly danish, at $3 plus 42 cents tax. This danish and sandwich cost $11.20 in total. The danish was just OK, but the wood fired oven bread in the sandwich was top notch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Costly pastries
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of cyclists are out on the Goose today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most favour the same type of multicoloured getups we saw in Quebec. High Viz vests like ours are NOT in style.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tandem recumbent
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Goose crosses the Gorge waterway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jaz, this could be you!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Goose connects to the Lochside Trail. Here is part of it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another bit of the Lochside
Heart 0 Comment 0
One view from the Lochside Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view from the Lochside Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
You pass through trees
Heart 0 Comment 0
... and beside farms
Heart 0 Comment 0
A message on the back of a billboard
Heart 0 Comment 0
We left the Lochside, crossed the Saanich Penisula, and headed for the Mill Bay ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bikes are snug here on the Mill Bay ferry too. They are ferry pros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our last ferry dock awaits us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beyond the Mill Bay ferry, we are on our home turf at last
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from near home
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enter the nearest town to home
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is actually a sham. There is no infrastructure associated with the route, just a recommendation about side roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The top of our driveway. We are about to cycle down as casually as we cycled up four and a half months ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yes, we really made it!
Heart 0 Comment 0

So at last we join the other cyclists whose blogs we have been watching. One by one they landed on their home perches, and were silent.

We have landed, but we still have a little to say. We need to summarize what we have learned, about ourselves, about other people, about equipment. We need to thanks those who have helped us. We need to finally answer the Questions we Asked Ourselves from the beginning of this blog. All this will be for another day (probably tomorrow). Right now we are really beat, like suddenly we are feeling the 7,653 kilometers we travelled. There is a bed with a real mattress calling to us, but it's been a great ride!

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 7,653 km (4,753 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0