Day 100 Johnstown to Spencerville Ontario, and back - Grampies on the Go Summer 2011 - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2011

Day 100 Johnstown to Spencerville Ontario, and back


Today was a rest day, in which we pedaled up 16 and 44 to Spencerville, to visit Auntie Beryl. Beryl and Uncle Ed had lived in Spencerville for about 14 years. See more about Uncle Ed in the blog for Day 47.

Before leaving we said goodbye to Gerard, whose itinerary takes him to Ottawa, Montreal, around Quebec, and finally back to France. We also said goodbye to Cameron, and wish him the best of luck as he heads for Florida.

Dodie and Cameron study routes
Heart 0 Comment 0

We ourselves headed North, on the same road Gerard took towards Ottawa. However Spencerville is only a 15 km jaunt.

Steve at the ticket wicket for the next campsite.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The quiet road to Spencerville. At the intersection with 401 there is a truck stop with good food and showers.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Beryl's house is a historic stone building, smack in the centre of town.

This typical photo of a small town downtown happens to also include Auntie Beryl's house in Spencerville.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It has been two years since we have seen Beryl and cousin David, so the reunion was lots of fun and much anticipated. Of course, there were lots of stories about the cycle trip, about the sad passing of Ed, and about all sorts of other family news. We feel completely at home with Beryl and David, so being at Spencerville was a bit like a break from cycling by being "at home".

The visit with Beryl begins
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie demonstrates that her shoulder, injured at Souris, now almost works. Dodie's cousin David is on the left. David had many excellent questions about the cycle trip. and also prepared some of our favourite foods for us. David often comes down from Ottawa to visit and help out Beryl.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beryl is still a beautiful woman.
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and a computer whiz
Heart 0 Comment 0
David, Uncle Ed, an Joe
Heart 0 Comment 0
Uncle Ed and Beryl
Heart 0 Comment 0

This snap of a family reunion photo should be fun for some. Dodie is about 11 here. Who else can you spot? (p.s. I could barely spot Dodie).

This photo of interest to Zackon family members mostly. Others- can you spot Dodie, second row second from left?
Heart 0 Comment 0
David prepares perogies
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boiled, then fried right, with onions
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie and Beryl relive Joni's wedding
Heart 0 Comment 0

Yesterday I was priming Cameron for arriving in Montreal, making sure that he tried some real bagels and also real smoked meat. Of course bagels are often eaten with cream cheese and lax. Cameron was not familiar with lax, and I tried to explain it. Anyway, David had picked some up - so here is what it looks like:

Cameron, this shot is not too good, but this is lax - cold smoked salmon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
'till next time!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 6,119 km (3,800 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0