Caen - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2016

Caen

Ken writes

We ate at the crepery over the road and had an excellent crepe with beer (no dry cider)

The pdj was not until 8am so we had juice and a tartlette and were on the road by 7.30. The first 25km were on small roads with lots of very steep hills and walking was required on some. The villages were small with no services but the stone houses were mostly well cared for. At several places we saw abandoned factories. What did they do? At one there was a large number of apparently intact old French cars. My eye took in about 6 DS19 and ID19 from the fifties and sixties.

We were sort of following the L'Orne river but often at a distance with lots of up and downs. There were old mills on the river and dairy farms on the hills. At about 10.30 we came to Thury Harcourt where we had hopes we might find a Boulangerie. NO but at the start of the 30km Voie Vert where we got a coffee and he made us a sandwich for lunch.

On this new Voie Vert it was great going - perfectly smooth seal beside the rails that are still there. The sleepers were mainly wooden but some were steel. There was a great shaded seat for lunch - the sandwich and some greengages. After that it was an easy run into Caen. Caen was bombed severely by the allies in 1944 to help displace the Germans. I don't know how effective that was but it certainly did huge damage. The city is now beautiful with space and lots of walking and cycling areas. There are cycle tracks all through the parts of the city we have seen. Apart from some churches and the Chateau the buildings all look to be post war.

The chateau is of course the base William the Conquerer finished off before crossing the channel.

Our hotel is very handy with a great man on the front desk. He told us the things we need to know and gave us a map with lots of information. We have had awash up and a look around. Tomorrow will be a short day - rain is predicted and the countryside certainly needs it
A terrible so low Internet so no photos yet

Where old cars go to die
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It tells us we are at the top of a hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's steep
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had to stop to let them cross the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
The start of the Voie Vert
Heart 0 Comment 0
No the tunnel was the start
Heart 0 Comment 0
Be careful
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trams in Caen have only one rail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
William the Conquerer's Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 2,162 km (1,343 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0