Carbourg: D day beaches - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2016

Carbourg: D day beaches

We have loved Caen. Last evening we walked a little from the hotel and found a creperie. It is run by a couple. She is an American from Montana and came over to Caen 3 years ago following college to continue her French Studies. Within a few weeks she had met Jason and now they are married running the Creperie - she said her mother just about had a fit but has come around to the idea now and loves visiting them in Caen. Jason certainly can make delicious Crepes and we had some of the best cider we have tasted.

It rained overnight and there was rain forecast for today especially in the morning so we had a leisurely start as we planned a short day. After breakfast it was fine but overcast so we set off. What a nightmare it was getting out of Caen and we just couldn't seem to find the right track. We were seeing the ugly side of the city as we went through all sorts of industrial areas, at one stage an angry security man gave us a short shift! Eventually by a very unconventional route we reached Pegasus Bridge, to take this was the first objective of the allies after the D day landings. There is a memorial and museum there and it certainly was very well patronised. The original bridge has been rebuilt over the canal and we crossed this to at last get to where we should be on the cycle track.

It still wasn't raining so we decided to instead of riding straight to Carbourg we would ride to Ouistreham and then ride along the beaches of the D day landings for a while. Ouisteham when we arrived was great with the smell of the sea and the screech of northern hemisphere sea gulls. There was a marvellous fish market set up beside the port. When you live in an island nation it is suprising how you miss the sea when you haven't seen it for a while. We rode along beside the golden sands of SwordBeach and Juno Beach - just as we got to Gold beach we spotted a bar so had a coffee and turned around. Today there were not many people swimming but there was a race of small yachts out at sea looking very colourful. It was amazing to think what was happening on these beaches when I was a very little girl. We looked at the houses working out which ones would have been there to see those historic landings.

It was back along the track, over Pegasus Bridge and then on the way to Carbourg. Finding the hotel was not easy but when we found it the fun started. It was now 2.30 and check in time was from 12.00 but the hotel including the outside gates was firmly locked. There were a couple of bells we spent about 15minutes ringing them as did some other arrivals but no luck so we have now checked into another place and I have sent messages to booking.com assuring them I will not be impressed if we are charged for our original booking.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Th fish market
Heart 0 Comment 0
The left overs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sword Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the houses would have been there on D Day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bill Millin who piped the Scotts ashore
Heart 0 Comment 0
A 2 cylinder Sameca - he doesn't put it into the water
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Carbourg
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 2,218 km (1,377 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0