Days 38,39 & 40 - In Bilbao - Gorging in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2023 to May 27, 2023

Days 38,39 & 40 - In Bilbao

Mid Term Break - Cultural and Culinary Enlightenment in Bilbao

Much like our 2019 Copenhagen to Lecce tour, we’re taking a little off-bike break to check out a couple of very interesting cities, San Sebastián and Bilbao. Both have very rich and exciting culinary scenes with a long focus on sea food, and Bilbao in particular has become a ‘poster child’ for urban renewal with cutting edge architecture driving it.

Rather than a turgid day by day recount of what we did, this post is more of a photo dump of what we saw when we did our more or less standard ‘one focal point per day’ then filled in with random wandering to get a feel for the place, stay in these two cities. 

We actually had two ‘focal points per day’, one being taking in a known attraction, i..e the Guggenheim Centre in Bilbao, and the dinner or lunch at a highly rated establishment (restaurant, bar/tavern).

Being off bike was good too. The upcoming rides in the Pyrenees look like they will be as or more challenging than our days in the Chartruesse and Vercors in France plus,  we really wanted to see Bilbao, but to add this in by bike would have added some additional pretty tough cycling.. and we’re getting wimpy! If you have never been to the Biscay coast you should come. It is beautiful …. Green and lush, cool due to the cold waters and winds coming off the bay of Biscay ….. and incredibly rugged. There is not a square meter of flat land anywhere. Looking at a topo map the whole area looks like crepe paper with endless wrinkles of small steep hills. Better to take a convienent and comfortable bus ride from San Sebastián to Bilbao and back than add several days of interesting, but very tough cycling into what is already a challenging tour. 

So with that intro, what did we do in Bilbao? The Guggenheim of course. This has become one of the most instantly recognized buildings in the world, and for good reason. There are scores of amazing pictures of it, but you really do have to see it in real life, and a different points in the day when the light plays off it. Thankfully we did. It also has some great art and sculpture on the inside too. Luckily for us the was a Joan Miro exhibit that had been here for several months, we caught it in it’s last week.. We also took in the Bilbao ‘old town’ with its narrow streets and cathedrals and of course the Mercado de la Ribera, one of the largest covered food markets in Europe.

Our dining extravaganzas included Lasai, a newish relaxed and low key restaurant with a growing reputation (great food and service) and  NKO Eneko,  a very high style and high demand  Basque / Japanese fusion restaurant (great food and great food service .. but a bit too pretentious in overall atmosphere for us).

Our almost three full days in Bilbao were great, cloudy with a few sprinkles of rain on day 1 followed by two glorious days of sunshine. We bussed it back to San Sebastián and Saturday evening and checked back into the Axel hotel (great place) where most of our bags and our Tout’s had spent the last three days, and had a last wonderful great dinner outside on the terrace of one of the scores of wonderful neighbourhood restaurants that fill San Sebastián.

One final comment regarding ‘neighbourhoods’. Both San Sebastián and Bilbao have  many parks that were all full of multi generational family groups out enjoying them, and the neighbourhood restaurants were filled with families and groups of friends lending a great human feeling to both cicites.

Our belly’s are full, our legs are rested and we're ready to tackle the next leg and country of the tour!

SOTD - The Sweetest Taboo by Sade. Most establishments here seem to play 70’s and 80’s music, and although we didn’t specifically hear this song, it fits the cool quiet vibe we had over the last three relaxing days …and it from the mid eighties …. Which seems to be very popular in Bilbao!

Everyone’s seen the outside of the Guggenheim but the inside is just as interesting
Heart 3 Comment 0
Richard Serra’s permanent installation ‘The Matter of Time’ … one of the few installations where the artist’s description of the piece really made sense, to me ;)
Heart 1 Comment 0
And a few of the many Joan Miro works on temporary exhibit. These were the highlights for K and I
Heart 1 Comment 0
Joan Miro
Heart 1 Comment 0
Joan Miro
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not quite the same interior pic as before, higher perspective
Heart 2 Comment 0
And an overview perspective on Richard Serra’s work
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooNice that it wasn't too busy!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
The Rising Sea by Al Anatsui (Ghana) Woven wine labels … really
Heart 4 Comment 0
This piece is massive and you actually feel it
Heart 3 Comment 1
One of the most photographed Puppies in the world . Jeff Koons flower puppy
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI love Bilbao and I especially like this!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Food Art section of the weekend … we had one of the tasting menus at Lasai - superb
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some highlights … perfect scallop
Heart 2 Comment 0
…and Sea Bass
Heart 2 Comment 0
Very chill atmosphere and personalized friendly service
Heart 3 Comment 0
Traditional basque desert taken to a high level. It’s a bit like a Pavlova, crisp meringue with soft inside… and to me it looks just like the logo of the (crap) Little League baseball team I played on when I was 12 … The Dairy Queen Jets. Our hats were yellow with a classic Dairy Queen swirl ice cream cone on them. Hardly the most iconic sports emblem! But this looks just like the hat, and it was far better than our baseball team was.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another modern architectural artwork in Bilbao, the Zubizuri pedestrian bridge by Santiago Calatrava (he also built a controversial (at the time) pedestrian bridge in Calgary a few years later. Both are now seen as essential parts of the city.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooThe YYC one is pretty ugly these days with no glass and fencing to keep people from falling into the river.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
The Zubizuri from below … equally beautiful IMHO
Heart 5 Comment 0
And in use as intended
Heart 3 Comment 0
Las Sirgueras by Dora Salazar… sculpture depicting the rope women who should drag boats along the river
Heart 4 Comment 0
Colourful buildings in Bilbao
Heart 2 Comment 0
Umbrella’s to keep pigeons off of the cloths lines hanging outside apartments!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooInteresting idea!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
The window of a small corner store in old Bilbao …. Canned fish is king here!
Heart 2 Comment 0
As is dried salt cod ….
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stained glass and organ, two of my favourites in Cathedral Santiago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love the light patters from the stained glass reflected on the cathedral interior
Heart 2 Comment 0
More reflections
Heart 2 Comment 0
Serene cloister at the Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the cloister
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the cloister
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the cloister
Heart 2 Comment 0
Old Bilbao street scenes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old Bilbao street scenes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old Bilbao street scenes
Heart 4 Comment 0
Old Bilbao street scenes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old Bilbao street scenes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Can’t go to Bilbao and not get pic’s of the Guggenheim area … approaching from down river
Heart 2 Comment 0
Waves, ship prow’s …endless interpretations … glistening silver in the mid day sun
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltSome similarity to the wine labels "sculpture."
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Bill ShaneyfeltThat is true. Thanks for making that connection.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
The classic shot …. Everyone who’s been to Bilbao has taken this one
Heart 4 Comment 0
I took this just to show how Bilbao, like San Sebastián, is built up in narrow river valleys, and as soon as the banks start to rise away from the river, you are into countryside. The hill in this picture is no more than 2 km’s away from the heart of the city
Heart 2 Comment 0
Last one of the Guggenheim (during the day!)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Multi generational park life - so great to see
Heart 0 Comment 0
Potable water fountains are everywhere … and often works of art
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bubbles !!! Everyone loves these!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fun for all ages!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of dogs ….. and EVERYONE scooped the poop …. Unlike the country next door! This lovely pooch is Merlot’s doppelgänger (Merlot is the service dog puppy that we raised)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dinner at NKO, Basque Japanese fusion … food was excellent
Heart 1 Comment 0
NKO Ramen -super rich basque pork broth …. Excellent
Heart 1 Comment 0
And now, the Guggenheim at night. I think these pictures are more dramatic … many more shadows and gold colours
Heart 3 Comment 0
And one more of the Zubizuri too!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautiful night for a stroll … we were staying at the Hotel Miro just across the street from the Guggenheim
Heart 3 Comment 0
…and the famous Spider …. No crowds and more dramatic light at night
Heart 3 Comment 0
We couldn’t agree on a favourite, so we put two in.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Wonderful busker playing to a small crowd … these two and me. Very lovely Spanish guitar and a very good voice
Heart 0 Comment 0
Morning walk to the Mercado
Heart 1 Comment 0
Morning walk to the Mercado
Heart 1 Comment 0
Morning walk to the Mercado
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast of Pintxos and coffee at the Mercado
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tremendous selection of seafood … no surprise!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Anybody know who this guy is???? When we were buying some pastry here, this English guy come up with his whole film crew (camera, sound and various ‘minders’) several people seemed to take notice and know who he was. Just another random guy, with his own film crew, to us though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perfect Hake fillets! Makes me hungry!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch at La Bodega de Ola in old Bilbao
Heart 2 Comment 0
We had several Tapas plates, this Cod and cartelized onion omelette was the standout
Heart 0 Comment 2
Karin KaarsooWhat is a cartelized onion??
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Karin KaarsooThat is poor editing on my part!! 😝 It should be caramelized
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dinner back in San Sebastián, haddock carpaccio with tomatoes and green apple was a standout!
Heart 1 Comment 0
That’s it folks. Mid term break over, back on the bikes to burn off the calories tomorrow! Almost 100 km’s and 1400 m of climbing to get to Pamploma!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Patrick ParnoHow do you choose your restaurants? Do you use the Michelin guide or something else? On paper or online? Your dinners (and sometimes lunch) always look fabulous!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Patrick ParnoWe use the on line Michelin guide. We usually go with a single or double € sign. We also try to go for newer places. It simplifies things and generally provides excellent meals. Every once in a while we splurge and go to one with a star but usually for a special occasion. We also sometimes just walk into a place off the street!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago