Day 55 - Castellar de N’Hug to Camprodon - Gorging in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2023

Day 55 - Castellar de N’Hug to Camprodon

Outrunning the Weather, again!

A short but super sweet day today - the downhill was double the uphill. As per the norm, the weather in the morning was beautiful but clouds and rain were forecast for the early afternoon, we were incentivized to get moving early and to keep moving.

There was nothing we could do about the breakfast time though, 8:30 it was, and there wasn’t really any other option. The simple but nice Hostal Llobregat was about the only place open in Castellar, as it was last night.

We were packed up and ready to go before breakfast and were eating at 8:30 sharp. Pedals were turning shortly after 9:15, and we only had to turn them for about 10 minutes to climb out of the town, then it was a creamy 25 km downhill run, with over 700 m of elevation loss, to Ripoll where we picked up a paved rail trail for the final 25 km to Camprodon. This final 25 km was uphill, in theory, but the total elevation gain over this distance was about 250 m, on a rail trail where the grade was never more than 3%.

We had thunder and black clouds looming around us for the last 8 km’s into Camprodon and we made it to our hotel at 1, the time K had requested for early check in. The folks at La Hostal Placeta were incredibly friendly, and they weren’t quite ready with the room when we got there. No bother we’ll have our post ride bevy while we’re still all sweaty (adds authenticity) in the very comfortable bar while we wait!

Camprodon it turns out is quite an interesting and beautiful village with several very nice restaurants. Since it’s Sunday, just about all of them are open for lunch … and lunch only! We hadn’t really done the Spanish Sunday lunch thing yet so we got ourselves cleaned up and were soon sitting at a lovely table at El Pont 9 for a lovely laid back elegant lunch.

This set us up for a post lunch wander around the town … the rains were still holding off … until about 5 pm when it finally decided to rain. Perfect timing to retreat back to the room to get this journal written and have a siesta.

There will be a few more days like this before we’re done. Every day we have left is relatively short with more downhill than uphill and we will soon be on the coast where it is noticeably warmer. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

SOTD - Bones, Fat Freddy’s Drop

A long song for a short day!

‘Take me over the cloudy rains,

The world of peaceful boarders, babe

The road is long, the nights are dark,

Get a little closer everyday.’


The standard morning pic. Rear racks being used as ‘baboon butt’ drying racks. There’s no heated racks or radiators in the rooms, and the relative humidity was about 95% last night … not conducive for drying bike clothes.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Castellar is in a beautiful setting … cloudy and eerily moody last night, clear blue sky this morning!
Heart 7 Comment 0
Looking over Castellar from our Hotel
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWonderful. The town just looks like a natural part of the landscape.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
In Castellar
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Castellar
Heart 2 Comment 0
The morning started with 25 km’s of this … downhill. We saw a lot of roadies heading up to Castellar
Heart 2 Comment 0
This happened within the last few hours!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooLucky timing for you.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The downhill just kept going … cows for company for most of the way. You can’t hear it, but there was a constant jangling of cow bells, even if you couldn’t see them, you could hear them
Heart 2 Comment 0
No pics of the ride from Ripoll to Camprodon … we were on a mission to outrun the rain … we did … and make it into town in time for Sunday lunch. And here we are at the lovely Pont 9 restaurant.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We had one of their set lunch menus …. Selection of starters, a tomato bisque, very delicate croquettes and a Foie mousse
Heart 4 Comment 0
Mushroom and potato ravioli - very umami
Heart 3 Comment 0
Aubergine cannelloni with mixed veg stuffing, basil oil and ice cream (not sweet - very good!)
Heart 4 Comment 0
Very nice, and very local Rosé from Terra Remota winery ( D.O Emporadà near Girona)
Heart 2 Comment 0
K’s perfect cod with chanterelles. I had a great risotto but it just looks like a bowl of brown rice … no pics!
Heart 2 Comment 0
And the famous Pont Nou , one of the defining landmarks of Camprodon
Heart 7 Comment 0
The bridge is just downstream of the confluence of two rivers, and the town is laid out along the three river valley’s. We’re heading over the bridge into the old narrow street medieval part of town
Heart 6 Comment 0
Stunning setting! So green
Heart 6 Comment 0
In Camprodon
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Camprodon
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Camprodon
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Camprodon
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Camprodon
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Camprodon
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Camprodon. Siesta time on Sunday .. ghost town!
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Camprodon. Dogs need equal billing too.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Mike AylingAbsolutely!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Mike AylingI loved the expression on his face. I think it would be great photo for people to add a word bubble with what he is thinking.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Post ride bevies are best when you’re still all sweaty! At least they are for us. That’s a wrap for today.
Heart 7 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 2,352 km (1,461 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0