Day 54 - Sant Llorenç to Castellar de N’Hug - Gorging in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2023

Day 54 - Sant Llorenç to Castellar de N’Hug

Ending on a High Note

As we foreshadowed in our last post, this is our last ‘big day’ and one of the few where we end with a big climb- ok I didn’t foreshadow, I explicitly stated it, but I wanted to use foreshadow in a sentence.

In reality, it wasn’t a really big day, 70 km’s, and the RWGPS route elevation profile of 1700 m + has some ‘tunnel’ effect, it was still a 70 km day with a solid 1500 m of climb and probably more impactful, a net ~500 m elevation gain … all at the end of the day.

That’s the ‘ending on a high note’ reference in today’s subtitle. We were pretty confident in the climb today, it was still a grunt but we’ve been doing this for a while now. Our biggest concern was the weather. The forecast was similar to the past few days … clear and sunny in the morning with clouds and rain showers in the afternoon. There was a significant difference in today’s forecast though. Rather than 30- 50 % chance of rain, and just a few mm’s, it was showing 80% chance at 3 pm with 2- 4 mm’s, and increasing from there.

We had incentive to keep moving and try to get this done and stay dry! This meant that I had to a) try to keep up with K on the hills and b) not stop every couple of hundred metres to take pictures.

There was success on all fronts. The morning riding was under glorious blue skies on our (semi) private roads. It is Saturday so there were a lot of roadies and an equal number of motor bikes for company. At noon when we stopped for a hydration break just past Berga, the clouds started to gather and we had a few spits of rain. This continued for the rest of the day, but no real rain fell on us even through the road was wet with puddles on a number of occasions.

Past Berga we had about 10 km’s of riding on the busy main highway, C-16, not great but this is all relative to the outstanding riding we’ve had for nearly this entire trip. After this short ‘busy’ section we turned off onto the B-402 -back to our ‘private roads’ to la Pobla de Lillet, and then onto our even more private BV-4301 for the final 11 km, and 550 m of climb! Through all of this we could see showers and hear thunder all around us, but we arrived in Castellar dry - from the outside at least.

Even though it’s Saturday in June, this place is still pretty quiet. A number of hotels/hotstal’s are closed ‘for holiday’. I can see that, in a few weeks when school is out I can see this place getting really busy so folks are taking this time off. 

We’re staying at a nice but simple Hostal … and once again it appears to be the only place open in the village for dinner. That’s just as well as we weren’t going to venturing far as the forecast turned out to be pretty accurate. We arrived just after 3:30 and by 4:00 the rain was coming down, and it continued for most of the evening.

From here on in each successive day is net downhill to the Med. There will still be a lot of climbing, but we are just about through the Pyrennes now. We will be crossing over the ‘divide’ into France in a couple of days, and then back again into Spain … just because, but our experiences in the Pyrenees have been eye opening… and just great.

Heart 0 Comment 0

SOTD - Tonight Will Be Fine, Teddy Thompson covering Leonard Cohen.

Yes, we outran the rain and completed the climb. We’re sitting in the mountains in front of a fire. Tonight will be fine.

Setting off nice and early from La Catalan. Simple accommodations but everything we needed.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a clear indication that we’re entering the last phase of our tour.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is what we had for the 30 or so km’s into Berga … there was a decent climb, and then a much bigger downhill involved, all in landscape like this. Sweet ride
Heart 2 Comment 0
Descending down towards Berga. We actually stayed on a high road above the small city and it was a wonderful ride. Bike, motorbikes and just a few cars. Not bad for a Saturday morning.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down onto Berga. We would maintain this elevation above the town as we passed by.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just some more beautiful riding in Catalonia
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re only a few km’s from the French border… so of course the paragliders are back
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking west onto the plains of Spain. No rain though Julie!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooHow disappointing. I always thought it was mainly in the plains. I believed her.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Nice high speed downhill coming into Berga
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Goldilocks dilemma … this is just after the downhill … a quick decision required while moving at speed. No time to consult the GPS … just choose the ‘just right’ route
Heart 2 Comment 0
The downhill continued past Berga. Very Sweet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very cultured bovines. Their own sculpture in the pasture.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Very cool bridge … but a bit unsettling. This is early June and we are in mountains that still have a few remnants of snow. The water level looks extremely low for this time of year when the winter runoff would normally have these reservoirs filled to close to the high water marks that are clearly evident on the bridge. This could be an another bad drought year for Spain. We received a water use advisory email from Canmore last night too. First time ever. Our similar reservoirs are only 50% full and the spring runoff is apparently done (it usually lasts well into July and reservoirs are normally full now).
Heart 4 Comment 3
Scott AndersonI’m sorry to hear about the water situation, and of course we’ve been following the fires as well. Hopefully we’ll be able to make it up this summer.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rose TobiasVery dry here in Golden too!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Karin KaarsooIt was weird that the high use is overnight....
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Clouds building … quickly. Keep pedalling
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just had to take this pick of the Saturday laundry hanging out in Ceres. Just past here is where we would join the busy C-16 highway for about 10 km’s
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not bad, but we’ve become so accustomed to having no cars to deal with
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great medieval era bridge in La Pobla de Lillet
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWhen we were here in 2019 there was a large Catalan flag draped from this bridge and Si signs and banners everywhere, urging yes votes on the upcoming independence election.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Lyle McLeodTo Scott AndersonIt must have been incredibly interesting to be here at that time. I can still remember the vote and associated news coverage. It was a pretty strong vote in favour if independence (as opposed to our Quebec never-endums that are always a tweedle dee, tweedle dum outcome), and also illegal under the Spanish constitution. Cooler heads prevailed and let the vote go ahead … as I think you commented on in your write up of the day.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Off to market?
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonProbably just a short joy ride, a reward for good behavior.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Scott AndersonMaybe, they were very well behaved.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The old abandoned cement works, now a museum of sorts. No surprise that cement would have been a big industry here given the amount of limestone around .. like the cliff behind the ‘museum’
Heart 3 Comment 0
No pic’s of the climb … constant threat of rain kept us moving, and you’ve seen numerous pics of 6-8 % climbs already. This is at the end, just a few more metres to reach our hotel
Heart 1 Comment 0
First sighting of Castellar. This is a ‘Where’s Waldo’ pic too.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Scott AndersonNice, but I think my partner would take offense if I kept referring to her as Waldo.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Scott AndersonI don’t mind. The kids loved the Where’s Waldo books. 😊
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Lyle McLeodTo Scott AndersonAs you’ve seen, K’s ok with Waldo. If I used the original British ‘Wally’, that would be a different story though! Nobody likes to be called a Wally in Britain.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The rains came just as we were checking in. Few hours later we had clouds streaming by and down into the lower valley. Spectacular and eerie at the same time
Heart 4 Comment 1
OK, vote time … colour or B&W?
Heart 3 Comment 3
Kirsten KaarsooTo Rose TobiasThat’s Lyle’s favourite.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Karin KaarsooB&W is eerier but I sort of like the colour this time.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s definitely cool at these altitudes (1400 m) … a little bit of ‘home’ for us, Canmore is at 1310 m. The fire was nice to sit by after dinner.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooYou have a pretty good wardrobe in those panniers!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Good night from Castellar de N’Hug
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 2,301 km (1,429 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0