Day 33 - Montignac-Lascaux to Sarlat La Canéda - Gorging in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2023

Day 33 - Montignac-Lascaux to Sarlat La Canéda

Another Amazing Day - Intimate and Contemplative

What an interesting and unique day. We started and finished in towns with well preserved medieval centres, had a short but hilly ride on our beloved deserted D roads … and the focal point …. a few hours in one of the most famous cultural / anthropological / archeological places on earth, the Lascaux caves.

Two days ago we were following in Jacquie Gaudet’s footsteps at Gouffre de Paridac, today we are in Susan Carpenter’s tracks. As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, when we were in Paris with Susan and going over the outline of our trip, she strongly recommended that we incorporate Lascaux into our plans, and specifically Lascaux II. The link above to the Wikipedia page will give you all the background on the discovery and significance of the Lascaux caves and their paintings, and also details what all the ‘numbered Lascaux’s are - there are four of them! 

Coles notes version, Lascaux I is the original cave and paintings and has been closed to the public since 1963 for preservation purposes. Lascaux II is an almost perfect replica of the most famous Lascaux chamber, the Hall of Bulls, with a few additional interpretative displays, that was opened in the early 1980’s. Lascaux III is a travelling display, and Lascaux IV is a very large, very modern interprative centre that has a complete reconstruction of all of the Lascaux cave complex, that was opened in 2016.

For us, the Lascaux II tour was ideal. You had to pre book and there was only one English language tour per day (at 1:30) and the group size was limited to about 25 people. It was very low tech and intimate and the guide, a gent named Gwenn, was informative, engaging, entertaining and funny. The group was also engaged and interesting. 

After a few minutes of discussion on the surface where Gwenn went over the interesting history of the discovery of the caves by a few local teens in 1940, and pointing out where the real cave is (a few hundred metres away), we descended into the cave, by torchlight (real flame torch … not a British battery powered flashlight)!

This made the tour seem very real, and very intimate as the flickering flame illuminated portions of the astounding paintings as Gwenn passed his torch along them. This is what it would have been for the people who made the paintings some 17,000 years ago, and for the young gents who fell into it in 1940.

Eventually, the modern lighting came on allowing the ‘cave ‘ and the paintings to be seen in full, and this lighting was done in a very low key way, maintaining the feel of a real cave (as did the temperature and humidity - the replica is buried below ground at the same elevations as the original).

Not surprisingly, pictures aren’t allowed in the cave (replica) so you’ll have to look online to see what we saw. The interpretation chamber that is just before the cave had a couple of reproductions (of the reproductions in the replica cave!) that we were allowed to photograph. I only have  two from here, and one of the statue of Robot, the small dog who actually found the cave entrance!

Don’t think you’ve escaped another Aunt Betty travelogue though … I’ve got lots of pics from the medieval towns of Montignac and Sarlat .. plus a few from the fantastic dinner we had in Sarlat!

So, that was Lascaux, definitely go if you get the chance … or better yet … make it a priority when you next visit France.

Since our Lascaux tour didn’t start until 1:30, we had a lazy sleep in morning, a great breakfast at 9, I caught up on this journal, and we had a spin around Montignac on what was a beautiful warm and sunny Saturday morning. Given that Lascaux is one of the most visited places in France, and this was a major long weekend, Montignac was surprisingly pleasant as far as crowds go. There was lots of life in the place but it wasn’t crowded at all. This place also seemed to be inhabited by some of the most chilled out cats we’ve seen, and one particularly funny little bulldog who seemed to be everywhere and acted liked he owned the town.

After our Lascaux tour, we retrieved our bags from our hotel (supper friendly staff), changed into our bike clothes and then set off to retrace the 25 km’s to Sarlat that we rode in on yesterday. It was a very good ride, three decent hills (~500 m of elevation for the three of them), largely deserted D roads and a few little villages along the way. Quintessential French cycling.

When we rode through Sarlat two days ago, RWGPS routed us ride through the middle of the pedestrianized medieval centre. That was great for getting a feel for the place (and to see the narrow restaurant lined streets - we knew where to head for dinner!) and the feel was … beautiful place and obviously very popular given the crowded streets on a Friday afternoon!

So coming into town today we made a few route alterations to go around the old centre to our hotel that was just on the south of the old town and this worked out perfectly. We checked in, got cleaned up and were out wandering the streets by 6:30. Our priority was to find a place to eat as we hadn’t had much lunch, and this place was still pretty crowded!

There are hundreds of restaurants in the old town, and without any prior knowledge or local recommendations, it’s a daunting task  to pick something, more of a roulette game than an educated choice. The marble fell in a winning slot for us though. I was randomly searching places on Google when I spotted one place that had ‘Petites Assiettes et Bon Vins’. A quick look at their online menu confirmed we had a target … food that was right what we were looking for (foie and endless canard is getting to us!). Coin Coin is right on the edge of the old town and is very modern in its decor and menu. We arrived at the stroke of 7 when they opened, were warmly received by the chef, who was outside having a break with some of his staff before the action started, and his wife who runs the floor inside. 

A great Beatles soundtrack, that the staff was singing along to, provided a perfect background to a sensational dinner. We almost ate the menu and the chef came by three times, and the wait staff many more, to chat about the dishes we were having …. All in an informal engaging way. They were as excited about the food as we were, and it showed!

We wandered back to our hotel through the old town, snapping random pics that captured a bit of what we were seeing and experiencing and that provided a wonderful close to a wonderful day.

Tomorrow is a ‘travel day’, but not by bike. I mentioned yesterday that this section of the trip were B-side filler days, and since we ventured further north than our original plan to go to Lascaux, were making up some distance by training it from Sarlat to Dax, where we will be back on schedule. It’s a regional train from Sarlat to Bordeaux where we have a relaxed hour and a half to catch the next leg, a TGV to Dax. We managed to book this enough in advance to get a TGV with bike space, which is clearly stated on our ticket that we’ve reserved and paid for this, but we’ve read about other CB’ers experiences where this isn’t worth the paper it’s written on (poor analogy these days as we actually don’t have any paper tickets!). We’ll see how all that works out tomorrow!

Heart 0 Comment 0

SOTD - In My Life by The Beatles (John Lennon really…)

It starts with ‘There are places I’ll remember’ … thats all you need. This was a track that played during dinner, and that line just stuck.

By tradition, we’ll start with a depiction of the start of the ’biking day’.This was actually taken at 3:30 well after we started the days other activities
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our day started with a lazy wander around Montignac on a beautiful morning. These kids set the tone (the ones in the tree)
Heart 2 Comment 0
And our first kitty of the day … there will be more
Heart 2 Comment 0
The King of Montignac. We saw this guy everywhere! Funny little dog strutting around the town and snuffling like a pig
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooSnuffle snuffle
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kitty number 2 peering out from behind the shutters. This and the proceeding three pics were taken within a 3 m radius, everywhere I turned there was something worth capturing
Heart 2 Comment 0
This, and the rest of the pics (until Lascaux) show Montignac on a beautiful spring morning
Heart 6 Comment 0
In Montignac
Heart 5 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltSpectacular bumblebee photo!

http://www.atlashymenoptera.net/page.aspx?id=169
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
In Montignac
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooLove this one!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
In Montignac
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Montignac
Heart 3 Comment 0
Kitty 3. I went over to her, scratched her ear and she rolled over on her back for a belly rub, never once opening her eyes! Very chill cat!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old school selfie
Heart 4 Comment 0
Kitty number 4. Very unique markings. This guy was on the hunt.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Montignac
Heart 3 Comment 0
Unbelievable coincidence ……
Heart 2 Comment 0
Both members of the Frazer-Nash Auto club were in Montignac at the same time!! How often does this happen!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautifully restored cars. I’d never heard of this British brand before , and a quick google search showed them to be pretty rare …. And odd! Multiple chain drive transmissions … sounds like a derailleur in a car!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A reproduction of one of the Lascaux Bulls - we were allowed to photograph the items in the first hall before we entered the (replica) cave. Impressive for 17000 years ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
In addition to the several hundred paintings, there are thousands of etchings throughout the Lascaux caves
Heart 1 Comment 0
A statue dedicated to Robot, Marcel Ravidat’s dog who really discovered the entrance to the cave as went digging in a hole!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Very high tech Lascaux IV, built into the Lascaux hillside and opened in 2016.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetI loved it! Maybe I'll visit Lascaux II next time...
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Jacquie GaudetYou should it was basic but we really enjoyed it. Thanks for putting Lascaux onto radar.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
On our way back to Sarlat. 25 km’s of lovely D road cycling, rolling terrain with three good hills. This picture sums up most of it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the post two days ago when we were riding out of Sarlat, I mentioned some steep sections that we had to push up. Coming into town, we saw this sign on the road that was adjacent to, and going in the same direction, as the one we pushed up and were now about to ride down! The return route was certainly more cycle friendly as the hills we had were rideable with no more than 10% grades.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Now in Sarlat … the picture sequence got a bit jumbled up when I loaded them, some are before dinner, some are after … and of course, some are during dinner … the order they appear bear no resemblance to when they were taken. Whatever, it’s a very beautiful old city centre that on one side of the Main Street, was crowded with people, while the other side was more or less deserted.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Badaud, who seems to be the mascot of Sarlat
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Sarlat
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Sarlat
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Sarlat along one of the many ‘restaurant streets’
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Sarlat along one of the many ‘restaurant streets’
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Sarlat on the quiet side of the old town
Heart 3 Comment 0
…and now our dinner. It was sensational and we ate almost half the menu (9 out of 20 dishes … and then dessert). All of them were small, different and small works of art from the look, texture, aroma and taste …. a refreshing change from the very good, but much more traditional fare we’ve been having most of the time. The Haddock Carpaccio (the one with the radishes on it) was really unique with cumin, honey and tarragon - amazing combo.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karin KaarsooAnd Kirsten had a tin of sardines??
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Karin KaarsooThey were ‘fancy’ sardines. We shared everything. They tasted nothing like the ones I ate way too many of in Florida!!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
…as was the beet soup with small peas and Granny Smith apple
Heart 2 Comment 0
… and the sardines … Kirsten thought they were like her favourite Sprats … but they were far better than that 🧐
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karin KaarsooHa ha!! That is the first time I have ever seen a tin of sardines served on a plate in a restaurant.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Karin KaarsooI think they made them in the restaurant. One way or another they were tasty.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Perfectly cooked Saithe (a white fish similar to hake) with a chorizo cream and some puréed preserved lemon - tastebuds screaming Wow! - and the best falafel we’ve had - crispy on the outside but soft inside with individual grains of chick pea — a real work of art
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dessert - a rum baba (with the little squirt of rum!) and a tuile with orange cream and zest
Heart 1 Comment 0
And their ‘coupe de coeur’ - a Spanish white from Alicante (unoaked Chardonnay that went really well with everything) quite something for a place in the heart of French wine making (Bergerac and Boudreaux no less) featuring a Spanish wine … but it fit the food and is a bit of a prelude for our rival in Spain in a few days.
Heart 1 Comment 0
If you are in Sarlat and can’t face another Foie Gras or Duck breast …. head for here. You won’t be disappointed!!
Heart 3 Comment 0
More of Sarlat. Jacquie G has many of the same pictures in her French fling … but like our Padaric pics, hers are much better.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetI think I might have had better light. I also shoot in RAW and process my photos which can really help. Then there's my love of my polarizing filter...
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Jacquie GaudetLyle picked a polarizing filter up in Rodez and he loves it too.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Badaud checking himself out
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Sarlat, having fun!
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Sarlat, one of the several ‘restaurant streets’ they were all like this. Just imagine August!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Glenna JefferiesOctober was very civilized, except for market day!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
In Sarlat
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Sarlat
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Sarlat
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Sarlat
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Sarlat
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Sarlat
Heart 1 Comment 0
And that’s a wrap on another wonderful day!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 1,443 km (896 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0