One month out - Girona to Bilbao 2014 - CycleBlaze

April 11, 2014

One month out

Snow plowing on Vista Ridge

This has been a frustrating spring so far. After fitting in some decent winter training rides during a clear, cold stretch back in January, we sat out most of February for the international film festival and to take a pass on biking in a month of rain, wind and cold. In March conditions improved but I came down with a bad cold that held on for four weeks. By the end of this cycling hiatus I feel pretty badly out of shape and anxious about whether I'll be ready for the Pyrenees rising up just around the corner. I'm anticipating a couple weeks of struggling to keep up with Rachael until I ride myself into shape on tour.

At last though, things are falling into place. My health is finally improving, just in time to enjoy a spell of ridiculously beautiful weather and the best of spring. Almost overnight it seems like everything is in full bloom. We're making the most of it by taking a long 5 day weekend for a string of day rides in the northern Willamette Valley and east around Hood River and The Dalles. Time to hit the hills.

Our long weekend was a big success as a training initiative. We enjoyed some great rides and bit off a more challenging workout than we had expected at the start. The loop from Hood River to The Dalles along the river through Mosier and Rowena and returning on the high route over Cherry Heights and Seven Mile Road was strenuous (53 miles, 4300' elevation gain), very beautiful, and a highlight of the weekend. The prize for Most Memorable though without doubt goes to the loop from Hood River to Vista Ridge. It is a spectacular, tough ride giving great views of nearby Mount Hood and Mount Adams across the Columbia - but we'll remember it best for the extended slog we endured through the snow at the summit. It looks like we beat the spring thaw by about a week; I'm quite confident that we were the first bikes of the season to complete the loop.

Flower powered, Sauvie Island
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pink Mustang, Springwater Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mosier Tunnels
Heart 0 Comment 0
East of Mosier
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seven Mile Hill, southwest of The Dalles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along Dee Highway, south of Hood River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pushing the season a bit, on Vista Ridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alpine bike stand, Vista Ridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
On Vista Ridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love this wonderful old estate on Emerson Loop Road, east of The Dalles. Every year I swing by this way I'm afraid I'm seeing it for the last time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along Emerson Loop Road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0