DAY 1 - BARRINGTON est. 57 Miles - plus - Atlantic Canada - Counter Clockwise - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2022

DAY 1 - BARRINGTON est. 57 Miles - plus

Weather cloudy with gusty cool winds

DAY 1 - 57 miles to Barrington NS with a midway stop at the UFO Center in Shag Harbour, check it out here -UFO Center. Cool right!  Overnight at the Barrington Lions Club Community Hall - so thankful to the membership for hosting me.

Route Part One:

Heart 0 Comment 0

Route Part Two:

Heart 1 Comment 0

The roads have been comfortable even though most had no shoulders.   Motorists have been extremely kind waiting to get around me when oncoming traffic allowed.   (Most of the route took NS 3E).   

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The scenery changes a lot along 3E from field of green and farms, lawns filled with crab pots, and bay and harbour views.   

Heart 3 Comment 0

I tried a section of the Yarmouth Central Rail Trail, but it was pretty rough . The trails are mostly used, I think, by ATVs, so....  The Yarmouth was pretty though.

Heart 3 Comment 0

The highlight of today, besides eating at a roadside food truck, was meeting Laurie.  He is a local legend who made one of the initial reports about the October 4, 1967 UFO sighting in Shag Harbour.  The 70-year-old, retired local fisherman, said he was driving a friend around when they saw the lights over the bay and reported it to the RMCP.

The story says that the UFO was scene splashing down in Shag Harbour that October night.  The unidentified flying object was scene by many including Pam Am Airlines' pilots.

Anyway, Laurie is a hoot to talk with.  I was so fortunate to meet him on opening day at the UFO Center, how cool right.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
brandon spangleramazing signage 100%

want to hang this on my wall
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith A. SpanglerTo brandon spanglerI knew you’d like it just knew it
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our chat included a little politics to, it was interesting.   What a cool guy!  Oh, there is a modest cost of $5 to enter the "Center" so....cash only!

Heart 1 Comment 0

Another cool event today was been passed by 30 plus members of the Sikh Motorcycle Club from BC.  The snuck up behind me as I was struggling against the wind.  The all raised their arms as the passed by; I returned the salute.

Many miles down the road in Barrington I had the opportunity to chat with a couple members.  They came over to me and asked about my journey.  The one guy yelled over to another saying, "hey do you remember Keith...."

They were on a journey around Nova Scotia from Toronto, then around NS and PEI before going to the U.S.  One member said to me, you are doing it right, camping.  He said he wanted the club to do that, but the line hotels.  So cool....  

Tonight the Lions Club is hosting me at the community hall - so kind.   I want to send out a special thank you to Sally and Andrew for staying in touch with and coordinating my stay - members of the Lions Club who I met on FaceBook.

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 83 miles (134 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Tamora StumDid you see any UFO's... Fun day for Biker Dale... Love T
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithGlad to see that you're on your way. Keep the rubber on the road and the handlebars in the air :-)
Kerry
P.S. We didn't stop, but remember seeing the UFO center in '17
Reply to this comment
1 year ago