Day 65: Hua Hin - Sam Roi Yot Beach - Frankie goes to.....Indochina - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2018

Day 65: Hua Hin - Sam Roi Yot Beach

Routing: #4, SR 2021

I always knew the real fun riding would commence south of Hua Hin. 15 km south of town actually, as formerly you had to be on Hway 4 until the turnoff for the #1019. You still do but soon after crossing the railway about 5 km south of Hua Hin they have built that most amazing separate cycle track. All the way through to the mentioned turnoff. Actually I continued even a couple of kilometers further until the very end and then moved over to the 1019 on its way to Pak Nam Pran. I think the #1019 changes its name name on the way but this is not an issue as the way to Prak Nam Pran is perfectly marked. Do go into and then through town all the way up to the northern tip! Then move down to the sea as you will find the next great cycle track which will more or less continue all the way to Sam Roi Yot Beach. Fantastic cycling: very little traffic, the last 15 km almost entirely on the shore. Absolutely beautiful!

Having read Jan´s report the resorts here were mostly on the other side of 1000 Baht so I decided to have a look at agoda/booking.com last night and found a bungalow at the Blue Beach Resort for 660 Baht, breakfast included. De facto it is smallish, semi-detached bungalow but I am happy with it, just a shame their wifi doesn´t reach out to the bungalows, in particular as the whole area has very poor mobile phone connection. But there is a first class solution to this: they run the attractive "Six Palms Saloon" down at the beach too and I sat in one of their beach huts and did the internet business I had to do. 

The beach itself is attractive with hardly any litter and very few people but it is extremely shallow and you have to walk in for several hundred meters to get an actual swim. You could always use their small but attractive pool instead. Thumbs up for the Blue Beach Resort.

I still can´t believe this photo was taken on the separate cycle track right next to Highway 4
Heart 8 Comment 0
Pak Nam Pran, the squid capital of Thailand
Heart 3 Comment 0
The southern end of Pak Nam Pran´s concrete-beach
Heart 6 Comment 0
One of the many flash resorts along my route
Heart 5 Comment 0
This monster of a bull was blocking half of the narrow road, enjoying his head massage by this nurse
Heart 3 Comment 0
The northern end of Pran Buri Beach
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
After only eating seafood this was my first pad pik gaeng moo for a while. And it was good enough to be photographed!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Sam Roi Yot Beach looking north
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sam Roi Yot Beach looking south
Heart 2 Comment 0
My half of the bungalow on the right
Heart 4 Comment 0
I wouldn´t have called it Saloon but I really enjoyed being in there
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hua Hin - Sam Roi Yot Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 5,001 km (3,106 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Bruce LellmanI wish I could have ridden with you today!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago