Introduction - Limoux to Bordeaux Canal Cruise - Tandem Tour - Sept 2016 - CycleBlaze

Introduction

We are Rich and Robin Frasier, two retired Americans who live full-time in Limoux, France. Limoux is a small town located in the foothills of the Pyrenees in southern France, near Carcassonne.

Rich and Robin on a day ride around Limoux
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are active walkers and bike riders, but by no means super-athletes. Rich rides a single bike, and we enjoy the togetherness and teamwork of riding a tandem.

Rich has done a few bicycle tours on his own. This journal covers our first multi-day tandem tour.

We had a few goals for this first trip:

  • Ride out of our garage to start the tour
  • Enjoy ourselves
  • See some new countryside
  • Get some (moderate) exercise
  • Finish somewhere interesting

We settled on following the 2 canals that cross the south of France. We've cycled the Canal du Midi several times since it's close to home, but we had never experienced the Canal de la Garonne. Flat riding along the canals sounded like an easy way to start out bicycle touring. For an endpoint, we chose Bordeaux. We visited Bordeaux many years ago but had not been there in a long time.

Here's the overall route.

The entire route
Heart 0 Comment 0

We ride a Bike Friday Tandem Two'sDay. This bike has 20 inch wheels and folds for travel. So our plan was to ride to Bordeaux, hang out for a day or two, and then fold the bike and take the train home. Limoux has a train station, so we would finish the ride about 300 meters from our house.

We do not camp! (Well, one of us doesn't camp). So this is a hotel and restaurant tour. We packed clothing for on and off the bike, our iPads for entertainment, tools for the bike, a roll of toilet paper, and a credit card. All of them got used during the trip.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0