Mantua - Peschiera - The Grand Tour - 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2023

Mantua - Peschiera

June 2nd, that's today, is Italy's Festa della Repubblica, Republic Day, something like the Fourth of July in the US. We don't realize this when we set out on the popular bike path along the Mincio from Mantua to Peschiera. It's a bit busy leaving the city, the bike path wiggles its way to the Mincio, and then is perfectly paved and straight as an arrow. It could almost pass for a Po dike path. 

A beautiful day...
Heart 5 Comment 0

We remind ourselves that the sun is shining, we are in Italy and we will wonder later on when we are at home why we aren't enjoying it more. We don't have many kilometers today and can check in at twelve o'clock, so we keep up a good pace. There isn't much to take pictures of. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
The Mincio, a tributary of Lake Garda, has been regulated for centuries.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Soon we are seeing more cyclists and then families with lots of little kids on bikes, roadies and people who probably ride their bike twice a year. It is getting congested and we guess it must be a holiday. Some like to ride two abreast, others stop to chat in the path. I get it, it's not like they want to get anywhere, they are having a nice social time of it. But it is driving us a little crazy. We are busy weaving in and out and I don't take any pictures to document this part of the ride.

Many years ago we rode the Mincio bike path in the rain and we had been looking forward to a pretty ride. The scenery does get prettier and more interesting after the first 20 kilomters or  so, but the path also gets more crowded. This isn't the ride we had anticipated. Six kilotmeters before we reach our destination we get onto a small road. We see vineyards, a castello, there are curves and little rises, even a bit of variety makes such a difference.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Our hotel is located directly next to the pilgimage church Santuario della Madonna del Frassino.I take a walk around the church and its two cloisters. 

The church and our hotel to the left
Heart 4 Comment 0
St. Francis in one of the cloisters
Heart 3 Comment 0
A large aviary in the center of the other cloister
Heart 5 Comment 0
The sanctuary is managed by the Franciscan order.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraGreat shot!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

We eat at the hotel restaurant and save a visit to Peschiera and Lake Garda for tomorrow. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 1,073 km (666 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Kirsten KaarsooWe really enjoyed our time in Peschiera both in about 1990 and 2019. I hope you do too.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Graham FinchThe Andersons have just been to Lake garda. Will you ride much around the lake? I recall the west-side road being a bit busy with buses and with litle shoulder.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Graham FinchYes, we have a date with the Andersons in a few days, but not on Lake Garda.
I wouldn't dream of riding the road on the west side! No shoulder, tunnels, heavy traffic, yet many cyclists ride it. Been there in the car and the scenery is stunning.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Janos KerteszType your comment here
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonI can’t believe we didn’t know about the holiday either. Brescia wasn’t too crazy yesterday, but we’re a day behind you and just got to Peschiera today. What a madhouse!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonWe left Peschiera this morning and couldn't get out of there fast enough!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonYou’re right, it’s maddening bicycling through the crowds! We are in Avio now and had a spectacular ride and it’s very nice to be in a smaller town with spectacular Mountain View!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago