Castres - Albi - The Grand Tour - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2023

Castres - Albi

Yesterday treats us to one final and unexpected dowpour when we go out looking for a restaurant. And now for today. This morning our spirits are definitely dampened. The weather report predicts a few degrees warmer and less likelihood of rain but clear skies are not yet on the radar.We check out of the very pleasant Hotel Rivière - they even lent us an umbrella last night - retrieve our bicycles from the garage next store, and before getting on the road, stop for a few farewell pictures.

The Agout
Heart 10 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat pic! :)
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Place-Jean-Jaurès, Castre's central square
Heart 4 Comment 0
Place-Jean-Jaurès
Heart 4 Comment 0

We are soon on the Chemin des Droits de l'Homme, a Voie Verte rail trail, that will take us all the way to Albi. This is a good thing and a bad thing. It is good that we are avoiding the many rises and dips in the landscape since I am not feeling too good today. My nose is running, I have a sore throat and am feeling kind of washed out. An easy ride is just what the doctor prescribed.

Rail trail from Castres to Albi
Heart 5 Comment 0
Tree lined most of the way
Heart 3 Comment 0

The not so good thing is that it is monotonous. We climb very gently and descend gently while the view remains more or less the same except when we cross a road or there is an opening in the trees where we can appreciate what we are missing, the pretty views that you have from the small roads.

The roads not taken
Heart 6 Comment 0
Curves and climbs
Heart 9 Comment 0
I first thought I was seeing rows of corn, but looking closer I see they are onions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Moody clouds
Heart 3 Comment 0
You have to love France's abundance of quiet country roads.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Kirsten KaarsooIndeed we do! Lyle and I have been enjoying for a few weeks now. They really are a delight to cycle on.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
An old water fountain, no longer working
Heart 6 Comment 0
A newer fountain: If you turn the brass knob on the left, you get water. I assume it's potable, no sign to the contrary.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Almost miss the pigonnier, dovecote, at a distance behind the trees.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I spy another dovecote and am able to get a close and unobstructed shot (thanks to my Lumix zoom)
Heart 5 Comment 0
The only cows we see today
Heart 3 Comment 0
Munching on thistles - ouch
Heart 5 Comment 0

The path is wide, not paved but hard packed sandy soil that is easy to ride.

Lots of water flowed here yesterday.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonFortunately, there aren’t huge puddles filling the road.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Grain beaten down by the rain
Heart 2 Comment 0

We see almost no one else the whole day, just a very few walkers, cyclists and people out with their dogs. We have a head wind most of the way and are thankful when the sun makes an occasional appearance. Just twelve more kilometers, almost there, and it starts to rains. On with the rain legs, the helmet cover, the cover for the cargo bag. I am hapy that I am so well equipped. Nothing in my panniers was superfluous, except for the sunglasses maybe, although when we started out two weeks ago, I thought it was probably overkill. The shower doesn't last long, which is fortunate since there is no shelter in sight. 

Almost in Albi, the Voie Verte comes to an end and our route wants to take us on a cow path. Iˋm all for taking the safest route, but I balk at that and we go for the main road leading into Albi. Since it's Sunday and the traffic is light, what would have otherwise been a busy road is no problem.

We have a super hotel, they carry our bags to our room and the bikes are in a spacious garage. All is well. Except for the wifi connection.  Tomorrow I'll  see if the connection is better in the lobby. 

Dinner at Le Tajine, a  Moroccan restaurant in our street, is good.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Tajine de poulet olives et citrons confits
Heart 4 Comment 1
Graham FinchThis makes me feel hungry...
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 479 km (297 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Nancy GrahamOh yes, there is definitely something to be said about having ALL the gear even if at first it seems so unnecessary! We here in the Pacific Northwest continue to have summer in May with temps in the high 80s and to 70s for the entire week to come. I know it will not last, but I am taking advantage of every minute. And just in case - I do carry those rain legs with me at all times!!!

Your photos are beautiful and though I am a bit envious of your tour, I am happy to get your reports, your photos and you little stories thrown in. Living vicariously through you ;’). Happy cycling.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamThank you, Nancy! And I am so glad you are getting the weather you deserve! You have certainly had your share of rain and cold. I haven't posted anything over on Cycle365 for a while. Too much for me to remember...
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rachael AndersonI’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling well! The weather sure doesn’t help.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago